changing a rim

*gentlydoesit

I've been without my phone for a few days now.. well without half the screen to be exact, anyone miss me?

Anyway back on topic, I got a try all rim off eBay to replace my front and I was wondering, before I take all the spokes out, are they going to be the right length?

Try all 32 holeswap for a sun big fat mammoth 32 hole.

I've never had an issue using the same spokes if you're only changing the rim

Completely depends on the erd of the rim. Find out some measurements and use this http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/spoke-length-calculator

or as suggested, ring tarty.

Edited by harmertrials

I'm fairly sure that the same spokes work, After 1 hub and 2 rims changed, always fitted the same spokes.

You only have to put the rims together and pass one by one the spokes to the new rim, no complete disassembly needed.

Are you serious? Just build a hypothetical wheel on this site. I just tried a frontwheel with a Hope Pro II Hub and Spank Stiffy rims. Now the Stiffy has an ERD of 478. Just by changing the ERD by 4mm results in different spoke lengths.

ERD=478/laced 3x -> left: 229mm right 331mm

ERD=474/laced 3x -> left: 227mm right 329mm

Now 2mm don't seem to make a huge difference but they very well might. So in order to know what do do or what parts to get, the ERDs of the old and the new rim have to be compared.

Nico.

Edited by niconj
  • Like 1

Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes you can't. Depends on the rim you are currently using, the rim you are changing to and the length of the spokes. If the current spokes only just fit the current rim....but the new rim requires spokes 2 mm longer, using the sames ones may mean they don't fit at all or they do with limited spoke to nipple tightness....probably not good for a trials wheel.

I have rebuilt a few wheels, 70% of the time I can re-use the same spokes, the rest of the time I order new ones.

Are you serious? Just build a hypothetical wheel on this site. I just tried a frontwheel with a Hope Pro II Hub and Spank Stiffy rims. Now the Stiffy has an ERD of 478. Just by changing the ERD by 4mm results in different spoke lengths.

Right spokes will be a bit long there buddy :oops:

Those bmf rims should have an erd 548.

Mist of the try all rims are 543.

Your spokes will be 2.5 mm too long.

I would say give it a go if you don't mind trying.

If you need it ASAP get some new spokes before you start.

Edited by dezmtber

Now 2mm don't seem to make a huge difference but they very well might. So in order to know what do do or what parts to get, the ERDs of the old and the new rim have to be compared.

Nico.

If I'm serious? I just want to help you with my experience, but if you prefer to believe this spoke calculator do whatever you want.

Edited by 315r

Right spokes will be a bit long there buddy :oops:

Yeah... I mixed them up but still, you get what I mean.

If I'm serious? I just want to help you with my experience, but if you prefer to believe this spoke calculator do whatever you want.

You're experience doesn't help at all. A spoke calculator (knowing the right ERD) helps more than you do by saying that it works, just because you made the experience on two of your rims. But yeah... what can possibly happen except some cracked spokes and/or nipples?

Nico.

Edited by niconj

Yeah... I mixed them up but still, you get what I mean.

You're experience doesn't help at all. A spoke calculator (knowing the right ERD) helps more than you do by saying that it works, just because you made the experience on two of your rims. But yeah... what can possibly happen except some cracked spokes and/or nipples?

Nico.

Crack some spokes and nipples? Do you think that you can avoid this knowing the Right ERD? OK, if you think that my experience doesn't help you, again, do whatever you want. Hope somebody can help you, and hope you became more grateful with people that try to help you...

Crack some spokes and nipples? Do you think that you can avoid this knowing the Right ERD? OK, if you think that my experience doesn't help you, again, do whatever you want. Hope somebody can help you, and hope you became more grateful with people that try to help you...

For one, I wasn't asking for help in this thread and you can very well avoid broken spokes and/or nipples by knowing the right ERD. What happens if the spokes are too short? The threads aren't all the way in the nipple or if they are, you've overtightened the spokes and what might possible happen in either case? You can do the math... or not... So yeah... try to help yourself by reading about how to build wheels instead of illuminating the forum with your smattering.

Nico.

Edited by niconj

Now now people, do we need to knock some heads together!

If you are building a wheel properly, yes you should measure the ERD and hub dimensions and get the right length spokes, this will give you the strongest wheel build without the risk of having the spokes too short...which yes will weaken the wheel build if they are too short (nipples got getting enough grab on the spoke .etc.).

HOWEVER, you can often use the same spokes, which may be the odd mm out but still work. The real issue comes when you are changing from a rim of 1 size to a rim drastically different in size, or the same with hubs...then experience will not help you make a spoke 4mm longer than it needs to be!

For one, I wasn't asking for help in this thread and you can very well avoid broken spokes and/or nipples by knowing the right ERD. What happens if the spokes are too short? The threads aren't all the way in the nipple or if they are, you've overtightened the spokes and what might possible happen in either case? You can do the math... or not... So yeah... try to help yourself by reading about how to build wheels instead of illuminating the forum with your smattering.

Nico.

EDITED...

I prefer to edit the content to start being rude......

Now you can continue "illuminating the forum with your knowledge about web calculators".

Edited by 315r

hey,i´m here,to illuminate you all with my knowledge about bicycle technics,because thats what my apprenticeship was aiming for,to get me having a clue :wink: .

youre both right in your own way,in much cases experience lets you open the drawer with the right spokes without even thinking about it,in others you only get the perfect result only by going the way step-by-step,measure and calculate everything(and i learned to do it by amathematical formula).

the difference for me,in my job,as my profession is that one way is going to just "work out as...",where the other "is.." the (more or less)desired result.

i think its kind of a mindset you have to have when doing it professionally,but you can get a good "private result",too,its just not perfect.

dont confuse wheelbuilding with building a wheel,people which do it professionally will get what i mean with that

edit:and reusing spokes just to get away cheap will only lead you to lacing it again in my experience

Edited by FamilyBiker

EDITED...

I prefer to edit the content to start being rude......

Now you can continue "illuminating the forum with your knowledge about web calculators".

Es justo como trabajan los españoles. Llamas a un jardinero, viene el jardinero, llamas al fontanero, viene el jardinero de nuevo...

Nico.

• Like 1

Wow.. i didnt think my ineptitude would start an argument.

My second phone bit the dust too, this is my third this week!

After several attemps the spokes on one side were just too long, no clue why only one side? I managed three differnt patterns before i quit trying. I took it to my local bike shop and they ordered all new dt's.. plus labour to build ('cuz i lost interest in doing it myself) came to just shy of £60!

I toyed with the idea of getting ti spokes but i had no idea if they would suit trials.

Thanks to all who tried to help, if only i had been able to read the replies i could have saved a small fortune!

Hahaha!! Use nationalities for insult make me puke... People that do this are hicks or really think that they are the best. Bad idea...

ADIÓS

It's not an insult. It's a matter of fact. I've lived long enough in Spain to darme cuenta, and you gave the perfect justification for my statement.