Travelling to Australia.

Jake.

Me and a friend jokingly brought up the idea of going travelling in Australia around a month ago and since, we've been working out all the costs of every little thing and are pretty keen to go.

The point of this topic is mainly to see if anyone else on this forum has bee there and has any advice.

We were thinking of going from end of June to end of August, it is the winter months there yes but if their winter is better than our summer I'm cool with that.

Mainly want to know if, for 2 months, including flights, food, places to sleep, public transport, etc, would around £3,000 be enough?

Was thinking of starting around Brisbane, going down to Sydney, down to Melbourne then to Adelaide then possibly go back along that route.

I appreciate any input given.

Friend of mine has just got back and said its very expensive over there with your food and what not. You planning on staying in hotels or hostels?

Yeah I heard that too, not a cheap place to be. Not going to eat out much, gonna make dinner with food from supermarkets. And most likely hostels at the moment, I'd love to be able to find work there and have a better place to stay/possibly stay a bit longer but I hear you need a working visa for that.

Yeah I may be going travelling for a month next year somewhere but stuck between America and Australia, America will be cheaper I think. Yeah you need working visa to 'legally' work out there, the guy I know said he got kicked out because he did not have work visa. Having family out there will help too as they could possibly put you up for a few nights.

Yeah I may be going travelling for a month next year somewhere but stuck between America and Australia, America will be cheaper I think. Yeah you need working visa to 'legally' work out there, the guy I know said he got kicked out because he did not have work visa. Having family out there will help too as they could possibly put you up for a few nights.

Ah that's cool, I'd love to go to America too but wouldn't know where to start. Plus I know people there too, my friends Brother is moving there in February and he may put us up for a few nights but I want to try avoid staying at friends houses as much as possible haha. Ahh that sucks, how did he get caught?

Ah that's cool, I'd love to go to America too but wouldn't know where to start. Plus I know people there too, my friends Brother is moving there in February and he may put us up for a few nights but I want to try avoid staying at friends houses as much as possible haha. Ahh that sucks, how did he get caught?

No idea, its someone I worked with for a few days on a job, he goes all over. Told me a fair few storys so I though sod it I want to go travelling, just looks so much fun. As for America me and a friend are planning on starting at New York and head towards California but stopping at different places on route.

I lived out there for a couple of years, Loads of riders that are friendly, will put you up if you need a place, spots are awesome and weathers good depending on what part of australia you go, £3000 should be fine but flights will be around £600+ return from there, if your under 25 sta do awesome deals, accomidation is not cheap however if you are just planning on staying in hostels your looking at around $120 bucks plus a week for accom, renting camper would be cheaper, the conversion rate on the aussy doller isnt that good £1000 will give you about £1500 something aussy dollers :) hope this helps, bondi has some sweet spots :) im there next year so if your around hit me up and il come ride and give you a place to crash

Also Food is alot more expensive but petrol is dirt cheap and goes up and down in different areas :) was about $1.90 for petrol in December when i was there :)

Also again, you can only have a working visa once, so if you get one of those you will be asked to have $1000 for every month you are staying and will have to provide this with proof, alot of the time when just on a visiting visa you will be asked to produce proof you have the funds to travel in australia and will be refused entry if you dont have enough, Do some hard research into it and make sure what visa is right for you :)

• Like 1

No idea, its someone I worked with for a few days on a job, he goes all over. Told me a fair few storys so I though sod it I want to go travelling, just looks so much fun. As for America me and a friend are planning on starting at New York and head towards California but stopping at different places on route.

I'd love to head to California from New York but I'd feel weird being so far away from the sea in the middle of America for some reason.

I lived out there for a couple of years, Loads of riders that are friendly, will put you up if you need a place, spots are awesome and weathers good depending on what part of australia you go, £3000 should be fine but flights will be around £600+ return from there, if your under 25 sta do awesome deals, accomidation is not cheap however if you are just planning on staying in hostels your looking at around $120 bucks plus a week for accom, renting camper would be cheaper, the conversion rate on the aussy doller isnt that good £1000 will give you about £1500 something aussy dollers :) hope this helps, bondi has some sweet spots :) im there next year so if your around hit me up and il come ride and give you a place to crash

Also Food is alot more expensive but petrol is dirt cheap and goes up and down in different areas :) was about $1.90 for petrol in December when i was there :)

Also again, you can only have a working visa once, so if you get one of those you will be asked to have $1000 for every month you are staying and will have to provide this with proof, alot of the time when just on a visiting visa you will be asked to produce proof you have the funds to travel in australia and will be refused entry if you dont have enough, Do some hard research into it and make sure what visa is right for you :)

Ah did you? How come you came back? I'd love to do the occasional ride out there but would be an afford to drag the bike along with me, was planning on doing a fair bit of surfing providing I get the chance and can afford it. £800 return for flights is what I'm aiming to achieve at the most, and $120 a week in hostels is a very good price in my opinion. How would renting a camper be cheaper? I had a look and it's like £500 a week. :( yeah it's like 59p to one of their dollars. When abouts are you going? And haha nice one man!

Thanks for that info dude, will have a deeper look into the visas tonight. I do have a lot of time to plan though, but earlier the better so I make sure I get everything covered.

my sister is out there at the moment and she said everyone is mad friendly

so you could probably find someone to stay with purely through social means.

I heard they're really friendly too which is cool, and what haha no way that sounds insane.

Ah did you? How come you came back? I'd love to do the occasional ride out there but would be an afford to drag the bike along with me, was planning on doing a fair bit of surfing providing I get the chance and can afford it. £800 return for flights is what I'm aiming to achieve at the most, and $120 a week in hostels is a very good price in my opinion. How would renting a camper be cheaper? I had a look and it's like £500 a week. :( yeah it's like 59p to one of their dollars. When abouts are you going? And haha nice one man!

Thanks for that info dude, will have a deeper look into the visas tonight. I do have a lot of time to plan though, but earlier the better so I make sure I get everything covered.

Im only back temporary, depends where your looking for campers, i managed to get one for $100 a week, and "around $120" was the cheapest i found in Melbourne in st kilda before i got a apartment, because youd save money in the long run is why :), Im going back in January so il be there from then onwards in melbourne :) the more money you go with the better trust me :) good luck with it all like :)

Im only back temporary, depends where your looking for campers, i managed to get one for $100 a week, and "around $120" was the cheapest i found in Melbourne in st kilda before i got a apartment, because youd save money in the long run is why :), Im going back in January so il be there from then onwards in melbourne :) the more money you go with the better trust me :) good luck with it all like :)

100$ a week where?! I'd love to hire one but wouldn't want to spend more than £800ish total on insurance/rent/fuel somehow, but if I can sleep in the camper I suppose I'd pay a little extra so I don't have to pay hostel fees... Cheers for that idea dude. :)

Ahh that's cool, I'm thinking of going 1st july til end of August. Thanks dude! :D

If you go with hostels use hostelworld.com to look at reviews and book them as you go.

Expect to pay £8-£20 per night depending on where you are and how basic the hostel is.

That's great, thanks for sharing that dude.

Can't believe how much this forum helps out regardless of the topic. :D

If you're dead set on Australia, do it, but it is expensive. I've been a couple of times in the last year to Brisbane and Sydney, and even without paying accomodation, spent a shedload...

A good alternative is SE Asia. You could have a right old time with that much money over here. If you only had £1k for 2 months you'd enjoy yourself.

Will aim to have £4k to spend then, my friend will have the same. £8k between the two of us.

That enough? :P

If you're dead set on Australia, do it, but it is expensive. I've been a couple of times in the last year to Brisbane and Sydney, and even without paying accomodation, spent a shedload...

A good alternative is SE Asia. You could have a right old time with that much money over here. If you only had £1k for 2 months you'd enjoy yourself.

Yeah but that's SE Asia though, I don't really want to go to Asia. Thanks though :P

Yeah I forgot to say it isn't cheap and travelling the East Coast is basically one massive party :P

You could probably survive 2 months all in for £3000 but it wouldn't be much fun.

Haha doesn't surprise me, and that's a shame. May have to cut the trip short a tad or just save up more money, considering I've just got myself 2 part time jobs I'll go for the money option. :D

Funny how it all works out with different countries... I spent £2000 in 3 weeks in the Caribbean and I didn't pay for any accomodation or water sports :oops: .

How did you get away not spending anything on accommodation?!

Edited by JMCD

Where are you suddenly getting an extra grand each from? That's an extra 1/3rd just out of the hat.

Nothing wrong with being able to, but it just sounds like you haven't actually worked out what you can realistically spend yet. That'd be the first port of call for me, and then I'd be looking at destinations and timeframes based on that. Which is most of the reason I haven't bothered!

Where are you suddenly getting an extra grand each from? That's an extra 1/3rd just out of the hat.

Nothing wrong with being able to, but it just sounds like you haven't actually worked out what you can realistically spend yet. That'd be the first port of call for me, and then I'd be looking at destinations and timeframes based on that. Which is most of the reason I haven't bothered!

Work, it's not a lot to save over 10 months really. Plus my friend has the money already saved. Don't really like to discuss money matters over the internet but yeah, "work" is the easiest way to answer it plus the fact we don't really have to pay living costs/bills.

And yeah exactly, that's why I made this thread. Have been looking at destinations, been chatting about it everyday and taking everything into consideration. Plus my friend doesn't know when he breaks up from uni yet, which has stopped us looking at a start date.

When we meet up next (as he lives an hour from me) we're going to work out every little cost, work which is best out of public transport and staying in hostels vs campervans and sleeping in those, to food, drink and see how much we'll have to spend on night life, sporting activities etc.

Going to get a calender-style planning board out, work out how long it'll take us to travel between places where we want to go, how long to stay there, what to do there, do we want to spend more at a certain city/town, therefore spend less in another place.

Thanks for that reply though, really got me thinking.

Hopefully it didn't come across as a dig, it's more that I can recall many times where something's seemed like not a lot of money right up until you actually try and do it. Good on you for getting on with it (Y)

My advice, which is based on bugger all to do with travelling: Work out 'every little detail' then add on another 30% and save that much. Always better to have cash left over than not have enough.