Bar extenders

AlexxRogers

In this topic I'm going to teach you how to make bar extenders!

Things you will need;

Hammer

File

Hacksaw

Tape Measure

Steel Bar

Marker Pen

Tape, I'm using electrical tape.

Step 1:

Take your steel bar and push in into your existing bar until it stops, then mark the steel bar.

96mv2R0.jpg

Step 2:

Wrap some tape around the steel bar where you have marked it. Just enough to make the steel bar fit snug into your existing bar, this makes sure that the steel bar will sit central. Make sure the you wrap the tape on the lower side of the mark so it will sit inside your bar.

6CxjKcn.jpg

Step 3:

Hammer the steel bar into your existing bar until it's firmly in place.

Step 4:

Mark out how much extension you require. I've extended mine by 2 inches on each side. Then proceed to cut the excess off.

Step 5:

Wrap the extended steel bar in tape until it matches the diameter of your existing bar.

3EIdW2q.jpg

Step 6:

Put your grip back on and repeat the process for the other side!

n2WzLa9.jpg

Feedback is welcome. I'll update this topic in a few weeks/months to review the extenders but I imagine they will be fine!

Thanks,

Alex.

• Like 1

The danger aspect concerns me.. if that bar comes out at the wrong time it could lead to serious injury. Maybe if you just wanted to ride up and down to see wether or not you want to buy a longer set then itd be fine, Honestly dont know why anyone would endorse this for actual trials riding.

Edited by f**megently

then you seem to be very in danger already,if there cant be added some for you through this!

steel bar in an alu handlebar,if that gets contact to the actual bars its just a matter of time that its digging into it leading to failure

also the clamping areas wall thicknesses and inner tapers are desingned to take a certain leverage plus tolerance,which you exceed by intention...

sorry,just my two cents

Edited by FamilyBiker

Appreciate your input but like I said, trials is dangerous as it is. It's far more likely I'll snap a chain before these bars.

Only 1 of my fingers rests on the extension, the rest is on the original bar, so not much extra leverage there.

If they snap, they snap. Parts do go eventually anyway, so it really makes no difference to me.

Appreciate your input but like I said, trials is dangerous as it is. It's far more likely I'll snap a chain before these bars.

Only 1 of my fingers rests on the extension, the rest is on the original bar, so not much extra leverage there.

If they snap, they snap. Parts do go eventually anyway, so it really makes no difference to me.

Just because trials is dangerous doesn't mean adding more danger is logical. Why not set yourself alight during every ride, being as trials is already dangerous?

I'm not so sure the problem is the extra leverage, it's the fact that you could well have done some damage to the inside of the bars themselves and created a point at which they'll snap.

I hope they don't, but brushing peoples concerns off could lead to a hefty injury here.

• Like 1

In the same way that putting extra stress on an important component is a bit different to not doing so, yes. Obviously you're happy with what you've done, and I'm sure it'll be fine. It's just worth people noting their concerns about it in a how-to page to help other people make their decisions too.

yeah,totally agree!if you come here as a noob you´ll probably think its common behavior like "more braking power-grind rims" and think "too short bars-just extend,its fine".and thats a bit misleading imo,because it definitely exeeds the load the bars are designed for.

if you see an ultralight bike part,the only reason its that way is that the manufacturer ran FEM-analysis and did prototyping and stuff to know where exactly the weight could be saved.

nice to know how you did it , most people would look for a ready solution or just get wider bars though

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1