36h track (flip flop) hub

PatJsy

So I picked up this old raleigh racer on ebay this weekend (impulse buy) with the intention of stripping it down and turning into a fixie (hipster as f*ck, I know)

I've pretty much got all the parts I need except a rear hub... I found a few online for around £30 but then you add a cog, freewheel, lock nut and spokes on top of that and it ends up pretty expensive (bike was cheap as chips so I'd like to build it with out putting much money into it)

I don't know if it's just me but surely a flip flop hub is almost as simple as a front hub (those you can pick up for a tenner), does anyone happen to have one lying around you'd be willing to sell or do you know of anywhere that sells them at a decent price? (f*ck all on ebay atm)

post-32656-0-05975600-1381135606_thumb.j

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/king-kong-219r-rear-fixed-free-track-hub-36h-prod22194/

£35.00 including 16t sprocket & lockring. They are also 130mm spacing with spacers which can be removed if necessary.

If that's an old bike with a 5/6 speed freewheel, the chances are its got a 126mm rear end, so just remove the 1 spacer

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/king-kong-219r-rear-fixed-free-track-hub-36h-prod22194/

£35.00 including 16t sprocket & lockring. They are also 130mm spacing with spacers which can be removed if necessary.

If that's an old bike with a 5/6 speed freewheel, the chances are its got a 126mm rear end, so just remove the 1 spacer

I paid 50 quid for the bike so spending £35 on just a hub seemed silly. I managed to pick up a whole wheel with both a freewheel and a fixed cog for £25 though :)

Someone suggested I used a 135mm fixed trials hub, has anyone used this on a road bike? I quite like the idea, they're low flange so it'd look pretty neat

Someone suggested I used a 135mm fixed trials hub, has anyone used this on a road bike? I quite like the idea, they're low flange so it'd look pretty neat

Ignore me, i didn't read the title properly!

Edited by err

If your going to be running it brakeless, do skids and go down hills I'd get a hub with a lock ring!

I think Ali C ran a trials hub on his fixie while he was in flat Blackpool. Don't know if he still uses it up i Glasgow? Depends on the terrain.

If your going to be running it brakeless, do skids and go down hills I'd get a hub with a lock ring!

That's a valid point, I just guessed trials ones still used the lock ring!

The other issue would be the spacing. A 135mm spaced fixed trials hub would be almost 10mm too wide for the (likely) 126mm spacing of your old roadie.

I think mine is around that size, you can get different ones though anyway.

To be completely honest with you I am now trying to think of ways of building up cheap 700c fixie wheels and ripping off clueless hipsters on ebay now haha

In all fairness, I'm sure I could pull off calling onza an old school italian racing company ;)

Edited by PatJsy