Pads play on Hope Trial Zone

cardenas_26trials

Hello,

Well, there is some play on my pads (Hope Standard) on the Hope Trial Zone caliper. I know that if the pads are new, the play will gradually become smaller but this isn't the case. In fact, the hole where the retention pin goes, has become bigger and doesn't look right.

What should I do?

-One option is to change the pistons or only the magnet (it may be the cause of failure, the magnet looks rusty)
-Try other pads, as maybe Hope Standard were designed to work well only with Mono calipers, and my last Pro pads (that come with the caliper) didn't have this problem
-Glue them to the pistons
-Ride, which can lead to success (no play) or fail (pads breaking)

Can't think in another solution. Has somebody ever dealed with something like this? The whole brake is one year old, and the pads with the rotor are brand new.
The last pair of pads suffered the same situation. At the beggining there was small play, then it dissapeared for some months and it came back with a huge play that sounds really bad. I'll upload a picture of the pads soon.

Cheers

Are they official Hope pads? What's the width of both pairs? Any pics of the inside of the caliper? And the back of the new pad?

Magnet doesn't matter and the hole for the pin is only to stop the pads falling 'vertically' out of the caliper, but I've never seen that before.

'Tearing' rotors is trialsrider talking rubbish again :P

• Like 1

Are they official Hope pads? What's the width of both pairs? Any pics of the inside of the caliper? And the back of the new pad?

Magnet doesn't matter and the hole for the pin is only to stop the pads falling 'vertically' out of the caliper, but I've never seen that before.

I'm never "talking rubbish" WТF? I saw bended (almost teared) trialzone rotors on some forum(as far as I remember on here or on OTN) that was bent just by normal braking not an impact or something. Anyway this rotors is too tender to survive landing on them.

Rotors so weak they are tear just by regular braking.

Now this.

Looks like defect, but there are no warranty on pads, isn't it?

Bought two Trial Zone rotors and both of them bended without hitting, Mono Trial one is great though!

If you were in the UK I;d say send it back to Hope or whoever you bought it from, as you're the other side of the world I;d send an email to them with a pic.

Bought it off from tarty and waited almost two months for everything to arrive, so anyway it can't be an option >_<

seems to be something wrong with the backing material imo.

and please,dont glue your pads to your pistons,lol(i assume this was a joke)

I think it was at the end of the list of possible solutions haha

Size of hole difference at the top?

And whats this about the rotors 'tearing'? Not like hope at all.

I'd like to see between brand new pads if there is really a difference there, any help on this?

They are sir! All the backings dimensions were exactly the same. Everything else looked in order

Bullshit. If that's what they claimed they're lying.

It happened to me also, they are just very weak.

If you contact hope I'd be 95% sure they will sort it out for you. They really are super helpful.

The major problem is the distance, I don't want to spend money and time on shipping even though it would be the best solution.

Thanks everybody for your replies. To let you know the problem now seems to be solved, I ended up cleaning everything inside the caliper and sanded the backing of the pad and the magnet ( why not? :giggle: ) and it looks now that the play is becoming smaller. I still don't know why the Standard pads suffered so much damage on the retention pin hole and that nobody ever had the same problem, for a moment I thought it would be pretty common :ermm:. Anyway, thank you again for your respones, I'll write again if somethins happens :P

Cheers guys!

My echo discs suffered from a very bad pad knock, I tried sanding and everything I heard.... what it really worked a treat was using duck tape ;) Use just enough to cover the back and allow a little bit to go over the lateral edges. The pistons stick into the tape and the bit that goes on the sides prevent metal to metal contact so the pad knock now has disappeared 100% (Y)

• Like 2