Inspired skye team

nicolasp1405

wow, beautiful bike! can i just ask, people describe skye's as bombproof, for a lot of things that usually means bulky and harder to manoeuvre due to the thick tubing. would you agree or would your friend agree? just curious :)

Edited by JJ Leigh

Thicker tubes won't have any impact on how hard it is to chuck a bike about, it's aluminum, it has to be thicker than a steel frame, and as aluminium goes the tubes aren't unusually thick, it's just well made.

The bombproof comes from it having through axles instead of bolts or skinny skewers, a big tapered headtube, chunky wheels, oversized steerer.

Nice bike! I much prefer seeing owner pics to the catalogue ones.

Edited by LEON

Ok so here are some pics of the bike itself next to the arcade!

post-32067-0-23258000-1389541988_thumb.j

post-32067-0-51692400-1389542012_thumb.j

post-32067-0-99682600-1389542031_thumb.j

post-32067-0-23549700-1389542049_thumb.j

post-32067-0-59740600-1389542059_thumb.j

So the skye vs the arcade, what a hard choice, well i'd say that after having tried the skye, it rides pretty nice but in my opinion the front is way too low so it doesnt ride as well as the arcade and that the low bb makes it weird for back wheel moves. In other words if the skye stock came with higher bars it would definitly make it more enjoyable.

In terms of look.. Well the skye has a point, the paint is sooo nice! For those who know what i'm talking about, the paint has a plasti dip texture witch is pretty weird. So i'd say that the arcade doesnt stand againts the skye with is matt paint witch is still pretty nice but not has nice has the matt shiny ish blue of the skye.

For the parts, the skye comes fitted with a complet hope set, hubs, brakes,stem, headset.. And the arcade with just the hubs and brakes. I found that for the price the arcade should have come with the hope headset and stem. The skye also comes with the famous danny mac continental tires witch are really nice and I need to say feels amazing! Suprizingly they are the same size of my hollyrollers (2.4) but they look bigger, like a 2.5... Even if they are danny's signature models it would have been nice to see them on the arcade... I hope they will be available soon!

having tried the skye, it rides pretty nice but in my opinion the front is way too low... I found that for the price the arcade should have come with the hope headset and stem.

If the Arcade had the lower, shorter Hope stem then the front end would be much lower too (the bar height would drop by 24mm), which you didn't appear to like on the Skye? I'd rather have a bike that rides how I want it to rather than one that has a particular logo on the stem.

You're pretty unlikely to break a 70mm Hope stem in fairness. Similarly, I over-tighten the shit out of stuff and I haven't had any problems with my Hope stem. The only 'problem' I had was snapping one of the original bolts - my stem seems to pinch way more than any other stem I've seen, and consequently it was tweaking the original steel bolts out quite a bit. I replaced them with some bettererer bolts and I've had no problems, and I'm running the same stem around 3 years later.

Probably not, but I heard Danny twisted a few, although they might have been the 90mm.

I've never stripped or broken an m5 bolt, I replaced all mine too for slightly longer high tensile ones, but I just don't trust them like I do an M6, and my bars move now & then.

I'm heavy & have big bars, so I appreciate a fatter thread.

As far as I know he's had no problems with the 70. Because of the extra angle compared to the 90 it's a super stubby body so there's not much leverage.

I used to get slipping bars on my BMX all the time, but with my Hope stem that's not been a problem either with the Trialtech bars or my Arcade bars. Don't know if it's the slightly wider clamp on the Hope stem that helps or something...

• 2 weeks later...

only thing i don't like about paying such a big price for an inspired is that if you get a skye and the forks break, how do you get the same forks brand new without buying the bike again or a frame kit? and if i wanted other forks for it, i would have changed them in the first place.... thats the only down side id say, or unless there is a way... if not, id say its a good thing to think about doing.

other than that, there damn good pieces of kit! i just think i should be paying less for things that may not be replaceable....

Edited by JJ Leigh

only thing i don't like about paying such a big price for an inspired is that if you get a skye and the forks break, how do you get the same forks brand new without buying the bike again or a frame kit?

You could probably get in touch with inspired and they'd hook you up as they seem nice enough?

surely a company as big as inspired would have thought of making replacements for something so expensive...

Doubtful...even if you offered to pay.

I've seen a couple of Skye MK1s with standard Inspired forks.

that's what i mean, i pay a high price for a bike, then even more for something i don't want but have no choice, if that makes sense?

just think it'd be a good thing to do, and not much to ask for a bike that's pricey anyway.. seems logical, and im sure they'd make money out of it from the people who already have skye's, and more likely to buy the bike too.

Edited by JJ Leigh