Front cable disc setup Updated

D Rock 45

Hey all I haven't rode trials in months so I went out my bike yesterday and was surprised I picked it up quite quick but my front mono mini is letting me down and has done all the time I've had it, so am swapping to a cable set up which will have more set up to it which is what am after.

So what can you guys recommend for 160disc caliper, 1finger lever.

Thanks

Edited by D Rock 45

I was looking at the BB7 before and on Tartys and CRC they look alright and I've read good things about them.

Also well poking around CRC (am going back on my self here but) I Found the Avid Elixir 1 disc brakes on sale for 22pound.

Am now leaning towards the Elixir because I have them on my DJ and they are perfect.

I had an FR5 and it was a piece of crap, it's like it doesn't pull enough cable and the whole feel of it's wrong.

Not used a modern SD7 but back in the day they were a good shape, but rattled too much once they were used. Can't beat an XT or XTR.

yeah but the xt, or xtr lever is way more expensive than the 5 or 7, so it's not really a fair comparison. you are right on the rattle point though, when they start to develop play they are a bit pants, but for the cost i wouldn't complain

I switched from an Avid Elixir 5 to a BB7 with SD7 lever and linear cable (off ebay, 3,45!). I'm serious, this is a good investment. Do it.

EDIT: I see you already did. Good for you! :P

Edited by hezzay

Avid levers are mean. I prefer the fr5 as I don't use the speed dial, some people swear by it though. But I prefer a solid brake.

Avid also have that bend zone design so if you hit them they bend a fair bit before snapping, and bend back. They do rattle a bit but for £12 you can't complain. Way better to have a cable so they don't leak when you hit them really hard.

What I am about to say is going to make this post seem pointless now.

Sorry all as I ended up getting the avid elixir, I was really happy with the first set I bought, bedded in within minutes and have plenty of power and at £22 compered to £52 I couldn't resist.

But if all goes pear-shaped I will report back haha.