Narrow-Wide Chainrings

Joshm1991

Hey guys!

Dunno if you guys know much about these new(ish) chainrings, but what's the restriction on running them? I've heard something about only being able to run even numbers on the rear cassette (like 12, 14, 16 up to whatever top ring you can get.. Like a 40 or something), due to the teeth on the chainring, but I've looked at my new (standard) chainring and the way the dirt has discoloured the teeth, it looks like it could run a narrow-wide without any problems?

I dunno if this is the right forum to ask this kinda question on but I know a few of you guys know a fair bit about everything and have helped me out in the past so I though I'd give it a shot! :)

Cheers in advance

Joosh

I have had one since raceface had them in stock a few months back.

i found it works best with a short cage clutch or type 2 mech as well

i have seen a few people running them on bikes using regular mechs too.

you can use any cassette 6,7,8,9,10,11 speed ect

any mech will work. (though a cluch or type 2 works better)

any chain will work too.

Are these available in 5 bolt pattern? If I ditch my mrp system1 (the original one) would I suffer from derailment because I don't have a clutch mech?

edit: I have a middleburn 5 bolt spider (using 110mm I guess) so a raceface one should fit, however they don't do smaller than a 38t in 110 - I think I use 36-34 as lowest ratio at the moment and really don't want to go much higher :(

Perhaps I should suck it up and grow bigger legs :D

Edited by forteh

Just checked, my ring is 36t running with an 11-34 cassette. Haven't found any direct fitment narrow-wide rings for the middleburn spline :(

Have shot an email over to middleburn to see if they intend to do narrow-wide rings.

Edit: I could always get a 104 spider for the burns but that's an extra 50 quid!

Edited by forteh

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorted a dirt cheap xt clutch mech and some deore hollowtech 2's so need to order a chainring I'm just stuck on how many teeth to go for. I think the biggest sprocket I can run is a 36t so I'm stuck between a 32 and 34?

My dropstop ring arrived from wolf tooth today, it's a lovely bit of kit, really well made and fits a treat. By ditching the middleburn spider, blackspire ring and mrp system1 chain guide the bike has shed best part of a pound! :o

Should be about 28.7 pounds now :)

post-6335-0-28700400-1401306079_thumb.jp

post-6335-0-40435100-1401306099_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sorted a dirt cheap xt clutch mech and some deore hollowtech 2's so need to order a chainring I'm just stuck on how many teeth to go for. I think the biggest sprocket I can run is a 36t so I'm stuck between a 32 and 34?

What cassette have you got? I find that 32-34 works really well round cannock chase and don't struggle with any of the climbs there, that said they're not exactly hardcore climbs and the intense climbs like a goat.

Go for a ride and see how you get on with the middle ring only on the biggest climbs you frequent, you can always go up to a 36t cassette if need be.

Wolf tooth recommend that you run a 10 speed chain with their rings to improve retention, not sure on the other manufacturers but I believe they're all designed to be run 10x1 so will be machined to sit the narrower chain. Something to potentially factor in if you're switching.

I would be tempted to go with 32-36, give you some respite on longer climbs. I stuck with 32-34 because it's what I'm used to now, however there was a massive improvement in climbing going to the 34 cassette, particularly on the longer climbs.

My climbing style is fast but not particularly long lived, with 32-34 I'm forced to ride up hills quickly in order to keep pedal cadence up enough to be efficient. Ask Paul Oliver ( Curtis rider ) or Tom booth about my climbing style :)

The 1/3rd mile 1:10 up cannock chase is quite doable with my current gearing but my lungs know about it by about 2/3rds of the way up!

• Like 1

My dropstop ring arrived from wolf tooth today, it's a lovely bit of kit, really well made and fits a treat. By ditching the middleburn spider, blackspire ring and mrp system1 chain guide the bike has shed best part of a pound! :o

Should be about 28.7 pounds now :)

attachicon.gifIMAG0308_BURST002.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0309.jpg

How are you finding the chain line with the x-type offset ring on isis/sq taper arms?

How are you finding the chain line with the x-type offset ring on isis/sq taper arms?

The chainline is actually a fair bit better than it was before :$

Before it was where ever the middle ring was on the 110mm xc spider (the mrp took up the outside ring position) and that put the chainline about straight on 6-7 on the block. I guess it's probably about 10mm inboard now and sitting straight on 3-4ish which is where more torque is put in.

When I first got it out the packet I was a bit suprised by the amount of dish but it's worked out really well.

For reference I'm using a 121mm x73 hope ti square taper bb in a 68mm shell so the drive side cup sticks out a bit further than intended but it works fine. The inside face of the cranks are within 1-2mm of the BB cups, looks like an external set up :D

edit: weighed the bike today, 13.067kg - 28.75lbs - not bad I don't think for an elderly intense 5.5 :)

Edited by forteh