Narrow-Wide Chainrings

Joshm1991

Think I'm gonna go for a 34 as I've just heard Superstar are going to be making the big 40t rear sprockets soon so I'll probably stump for one of those when they come out. Should be far cheaper than a Hope or alternative.

On a 26" wheelsize using a rear 40t if you want to keep all the low end granny gears you will need a 28t cog on the front.

and for every two teeth you go up by on the front you loose a cog at the rear.

so daves 34t should feel much like running a 22x32 so same as old 8 speed triple pretty much.

Expecting delivery of a 34T superstar in the not too distant future and am going 1x10 on my Meta with a clutched rear mech. 11-36 cassette should just about be ok I think...

Yeah should be fine. I ran that on my 26" bike and could still get up some pretty steep climbs. You do need to push more but you soon adapt and if you keep pushing it just means you climb quicker, and you focus on keeping momentum so the climbs are over quicker. Since moving to 27.5" I have moved down to a 32t front ring though.

On a 26" wheelsize using a rear 40t if you want to keep all the low end granny gears you will need a 28t cog on the front.

and for every two teeth you go up by on the front you loose a cog at the rear.

so daves 34t should feel much like running a 22x32 so same as old 8 speed triple pretty much.

But it's not about keeping the low end granny gears? Who uses those anyway? Also where would you get a 28t chainring for anything other than an X1/X01/XX1 setup? You wouldn't be able to fit a 28t on a typical 104BCD setup.

But it's not about keeping the low end granny gears? Who uses those anyway? Also where would you get a 28t chainring for anything other than an X1/X01/XX1 setup? You wouldn't be able to fit a 28t on a typical 104BCD setup.

so long as your not to worried about chainline ect... use a granny ring to get 64bcd 22-28t rings, and a top guide with some modification it works very well.

talking for most of the average mountain bike riders who like going the pub and eating cakes theres a lot of riders who use the granny ring toward the end of a days ride.

there is a good alternative to this though, run whatever size narrow wide you like but leave the 22-24t ring on the crank and if you ever feel too tired and want to push up the hill just knock the chain onto the granny ring by hand and continue to ride rather than walk

Edited by dezmtber

I haven't had a granny ring since I was 14-15, I'm now 35 and been on single ring ever since.

Managed to get out round the chase on saturday and the chainring works flawlessly. I don't have a clutch mech and it didn't drop the chain once, the bike is a lot quieter and I think the mech only banged once or twice in the 12.5 miles I was riding where as it used to make a horrendous clattering before :)

so long as your not to worried about chainline ect... use a granny ring to get 64bcd 22-28t rings, and a top guide with some modification it works very well.

talking for most of the average mountain bike riders who like going the pub and eating cakes theres a lot of riders who use the granny ring toward the end of a days ride.

there is a good alternative to this though, run whatever size narrow wide you like but leave the 22-24t ring on the crank and if you ever feel too tired and want to push up the hill just knock the chain onto the granny ring by hand and continue to ride rather than walk

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

If you want a granny ring use a double set-up with a front mech. You'd never run a single ring on the inner chainring mount on a crank. Not only would the spider look absurd but it wouldn't work. Don't you work in a bike shop? How can you say "so long as (it should be) you're not worried about chain line"….. this isn't a trials bike, you need to have a correct chain line to have suitably shifting gears. I do hope you never suggest customers do this.

Also your last suggestion…….cummon! It's like you're trying to suggest as outlandish setups as possible. Why would you use narrow-wide alongside a granny? If you had both rings then you wouldn't need a narrow-wide. Who would ever stop their bike, take their chain off and lower it on to a granny ring manually to then get back on to ride when a £12 mech can do the job, and you get to stay on the bike.

• Like 2

Who would ever stop their bike, take their chain off and lower it on to a granny ring manually to then get back on to ride .

Sounds like a market opening for a new bit of kit, it would revolutionise the bike industry like the dropper seat post did, now how can we devise a mechanism that will move the chain sideways across chainrings?

Talking of goats, anyone else got goat simulator? Quite amusing.

Talking of narrow-wide have they seriously not thought of a better more catchy name than that for the technology?

Usually called thick-thin.....

Sram who came up for it have a licensed name but it basically boils down to thick then thin teeth, which the non-licensed competitors have stuck with, possibly even to downplay the technology.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

If you want a granny ring use a double set-up with a front mech. You'd never run a single ring on the inner chainring mount on a crank. Not only would the spider look absurd but it wouldn't work. Don't you work in a bike shop? How can you say "so long as (it should be) you're not worried about chain line"….. this isn't a trials bike, you need to have a correct chain line to have suitably shifting gears. I do hope you never suggest customers do this.

Also your last suggestion…….cummon! It's like you're trying to suggest as outlandish setups as possible. Why would you use narrow-wide alongside a granny? If you had both rings then you wouldn't need a narrow-wide. Who would ever stop their bike, take their chain off and lower it on to a granny ring manually to then get back on to ride when a £12 mech can do the job, and you get to stay on the bike.

of course not i run a 36t single ring on my 26" hard core hard tail with fox forx....mmmmmm

i have ridden practicaly all of the manlyest trail centres no problem.........

is chainline as important on a single ring as you think it is?

chainline was much more important when running a triple as if you got it wrong the chain simply wouldn't run on either big ring or granny ring at the extremes.

of course not i run a 36t single ring on my 26" hard core hard tail with fox forx....mmmmmm

i have ridden practicaly all of the manlyest trail centres no problem.........

is chainline as important on a single ring as you think it is?

chainline was much more important when running a triple as if you got it wrong the chain simply wouldn't run on either big ring or granny ring at the extremes.

Manlyst? Also not really sure there's any trail centre that quantifies being classified as manly. I wasn't calling in to question your riding ability, or what products you use (p.s. it's 'forks' and these days I wouldn't be so proud of using a fox fork) just your very dubious advice.

Is chain line important? Yes, very much so. Again as someone who works in a bike shop I'd hope you'd realise this. Also in terms of single rings it's especially important as you're using the full spread of the cassette unlike a triple setup so ensuring a correct chain line makes all the difference.

Again, you're wrong on your last point however it's a moot as if you're using a triple crankset then your chain line is pretty much predetermined and there's not much you can do to drastically change or ruin it. Gear set-up is important with a triple obviously to get the gears you're suggesting sometimes suffer, but it's not down to the chain line.

That's still shit though. ISIS, BB30, Hollowtech, Icetech all good. Narrow wide or thick thin? Come on bike industry!

Yeah, that's what I was saying…..narrow-wide or thick-thin, they're both equally silly but it's due to Sram licensing the technology under the name 'X-Sync' so I think the rest of the industry have just down-played what that actually means to the names mentioned.

Really? Then why didnt I see anybody running Pikes at the EWS last weekend? :wink:

36 forx for life yo!

Because you weren't there?

The 36 was a decent fork (in RC2 guise) to be fair. And the new one does seem to be helping Fox get back on track. There were a good few at the EWS but everyone who had one is sponsored by Fox so that's not saying much and as they're not available for purchase yet I'm standing by what I said.

The thing I don't understand is everyone is giggling with excitement for this new 36 which features the exact same damper that was available 4 years ago, all in a fork that is heavier than a Pike, £400 more and required 5 bolts loosening to take your front wheel out….. it's a monumental leap backwards and every review says it's "almost as good as a Pike"…… if you were in the market for a new fork and didn't by the Pike there'd be something wrong with you.

Because you weren't there?

The 36 was a decent fork (in RC2 guise) to be fair. And the new one does seem to be helping Fox get back on track. There were a good few at the EWS but everyone who had one is sponsored by Fox so that's not saying much and as they're not available for purchase yet I'm standing by what I said.

The thing I don't understand is everyone is giggling with excitement for this new 36 which features the exact same damper that was available 4 years ago, all in a fork that is heavier than a Pike, £400 more and required 5 bolts loosening to take your front wheel out….. it's a monumental leap backwards and every review says it's "almost as good as a Pike"…… if you were in the market for a new fork and didn't by the Pike there'd be something wrong with you.

Its 'buy'. :P

I have to agree with the 4 bolts comment. I have that versoin and hated it. I also have the QR version and love that!

I hope you know I'm taking the piss. I know squat all about whats going on in the MTB world.

With regards to the naming of narrow/wide thick/thin chainrings, I think that's just a generic name for the type or ring, hope call them retainer rings, wolftooth calls them dropstop rings, sram calls them x-sync :)

Perhaps something like chain interlocking ring would be better?

Its 'buy'. :P

I have to agree with the 4 bolts comment. I have that versoin and hated it. I also have the QR version and love that!

I hope you know I'm taking the piss. I know squat all about whats going on in the MTB world.

Aye a ken, but I dunnae ken "Its 'buy''?