Piece of shit Neon/Because forks

Skorp

I hate bad forks. Broke my Neon curved fork some months ago. Luckily i noticed when trackstanding.

This time i was not so lucky. Bunny over a small ledge and flat landing. No big deal at all.

The Because fork broke, and i had no chance to dampen the fall. My face took it :)

rdKs8CT.jpg?1

620JiWJ.jpg?1

R4vRmrB.jpg?1

HOgHGp3.jpg?1

I have Trialtech forks now. Should i trust them? :P

• Like 1

I'm mostly riding with brakes, but this time i was showing trials to a friend so he borrowed my trialsbike with brakes.

I have trialtechs on my bike with brakes, have there been any breakage of these?

I have been riding trials for 10 years now, and have broken two forks in that time. Have mostly used Echo Urbans which have been bulletproof.

EDIT: Yep, one tooth and chipped another! Estimated cost by my dentist: 500gbp. 3 stiches in my forehead and 4 stisches in my upperlip.

Edited by Skorp

Shotblasted frame :)

Thanks everyone, be cautious with these forks..

Do you know what media was used to blast the frame? There's a good possibility that it was this that has caused the failure of your forks. The fracture is a perfect fatigue failure which has propagated from an initiation point, a stress raiser, possibly caused by some overzealous removal of paint from around the welds/crown of your forks. Although shot blasting is primarily used as a way to increase the fatigue life of a component, if not done properly or with the correct media for the material, it has quite a large detrimental effect on the overall fatigue life.

You can see in the picture that they have been cracked for a while before they finally gave up. The crack probably started not long after the frame was blasted.

I feel your pain though! Not nice!

• Like 1

Do you know what media was used to blast the frame? There's a good possibility that it was this that has caused the failure of your forks. The fracture is a perfect fatigue failure which has propagated from an initiation point, a stress raiser, possibly caused by some overzealous removal of paint from around the welds/crown of your forks. Although shot blasting is primarily used as a way to increase the fatigue life of a component, if not done properly or with the correct media for the material, it has quite a large detrimental effect on the overall fatigue life.

You can see in the picture that they have been cracked for a while before they finally gave up. The crack probably started not long after the frame was blasted.

I feel your pain though! Not nice!

Hard to tell, but looks like the crack was 'hidden' from any blasting by the fork legs? The steerer is set into a bit of a socket, and cracked at the base of that. If that makes any sense.

They might not be the best forks but that's all the more reason not to make them any weaker and more likely to fail!

I broke a Neon fork autumn2013. This fork was not blasted :)

EDIT: the fork that broke was shotblasted with sand.

Edited by Skorp

looks like it cracked below the headset crown while usually I would expect the steerer to crack above.

That Tensile Ace headset comes with non-split crown. Any defects on the steerer tube from removing the crown using a screwdriver or similar in order to glassblast the fork?