Dual disc Echo 24" 2014 - build thread UPDATES PAGE 2

wilf

Hello all,

Yes I know I've only just put pictures up of my current Echo 24" but I'm building another one :P always ridden dual disc on my mods so I fancy trying it out on 24".

I originally was going to just build it slowly and buy pretty much everything new because I've always wanted to build a new bike but its just happened that all this stuff has come up in nearly new condition for very good prices. I do like a good bargain!

Its been fairly cheap up to now, the last bits are much more expensive haha. Getting the rear hub next, then rims spokes and a few other bits, and last of all the frame.

Also I won't 'rawing' everything, I like my colour :P

Frame: Echo Trial 24" 2014 dual disc

Fork: Trailtech Sport disc only

Bar: Trialtech Highrise

Stem: Try-all K2

Headset: Chris King red

Front hub: Hope Pro 2 Evo red

Rear hub: Hope Pro 2 40T red

Rims: Trialtech Sport Lite

Cranks: Try-all ISIS 170mm

Pedals: undecided, Possibly Hope F20's

Bashring: Echo Urban (soon to be modified)

Brakes: Hope Mono Trial 07 (going to be anodised in red)

Thats all for now, going to modify the Bashring so I'll post some pictures soon!

IMG_1766_zps411d3a89.jpg

IMG_1975_zpsb0618488.jpg

Edited by wilf

Thats all for now, going to modify the Bashring so I'll post some pictures soon

Funny. I have an Echo Urban Bash and a TryAll crank. As I was told that I had to modify the bash, I bought a TryAll A-Symetric thinking that it would fit w/o any modification. It doesn't! Had to file it down at least 1.5mm to make it fit. Pfff....

Funny. I have an Echo Urban Bash and a TryAll crank. As I was told that I had to modify the bash, I bought a TryAll A-Symetric thinking that it would fit w/o any modification. It doesn't! Had to file it down at least 1.5mm to make it fit. Pfff....

I mean't modify it as in drill some holes in it. I'm pretty sure it should fit fine, it fits my 2011 Echo 24" frame and I don't think they've changed the chainstays on the later frames.

I mean't modify it as in drill some holes in it. I'm pretty sure it should fit fine, it fits my 2011 Echo 24" frame and I don't think they've changed the chainstays on the later frames.

And I meant that the Echo Urban doesn't fit the TryAll cranks but neither does the TryAll bash.

My Urban, at least with my Try All Isis cranks, pushes against the crank when tightening the freewheel resulting in a freewheel not resting flat on the bash, which could cause some problems I guess.

Edit: As you are using a screw on sprocket on the front it shouldn't be a problem. At least it wasn't when I was running this setup.

Edited by niconj

And I meant that the Echo Urban doesn't fit the TryAll cranks but neither does the TryAll bash.

My Urban, at least with my Try All Isis cranks, pushes against the crank when tightening the freewheel resulting in a freewheel not resting flat on the bash, which could cause some problems I guess.

Edit: As you are using a screw on sprocket on the front it shouldn't be a problem. At least it wasn't when I was running this setup.

Ahh thats strange, are you running the same Try-all's as me? This bash fits my cranks fine. Yeah originally I was going to run a FFW but when Hope released the new 40T Pro 2's I just had to have one :P

Ahh thats strange, are you running the same Try-all's as me? This bash fits my cranks fine. Yeah originally I was going to run a FFW but when Hope released the new 40T Pro 2's I just had to have one :P

I run the ones I linked. I wanted to get the new Hope Hub as well but an Echo TR FFW is cheaper and has 108 engagement points. It's lighter too.

p.s.: We are talking about the Hope Trials with 80 engagement points?

Edited by niconj

I run the ones I linked. I wanted to get the new Hope Hub as well but an Echo TR FFW is cheaper and has 108 engagement points. It's lighter too.

p.s.: We are talking about the Hope Trials with 80 engagement points?

Ahh sorry, didn't see the links. Yeah they're the expert cranks, I've got a knackered set of them haha. Yeah fair shout, I'm running a Echo TR 72 freewheel now and its faultless, never skipped once on me.

Yep thats,it, can't wait to get mine haha.

Rear disc and a rear pro2? Worst weight distribution ever... :P

Looking like a rather pimp build so far though!

Haha yep, I'll have too throw loads of Ti in there to try and offset the difference, get Dad to make me a Ti rear axle. :P

Going to start striping the brakes today ready for anodising!

Edited by wilf

The pro 2 uses a light alloy axle all you need are a set of ti m10 bolts instead of the heavy steel ones.

Which would get him like 20gr of weight saving. I don't really think it matters which bolts. I'd even go as far as to say that rear Hope hub vs. FFW doesn't make noticeable difference in the feel of the bike. I went from Hope Trials to Echo TR FFW and can't feel any difference except the more engagement points.

Edited by niconj

doesn't make noticeable difference in the feel of the bike.

I went from Hope Trials to Echo TR FFW and can't feel any difference except the more engagement points.

more engagements is a significant differentiatior. and rear end weight does make a difference, you get over it but when i went rear disc my bike felt a bit odd for a while.

The pro 2 uses a light alloy axle all you need are a set of ti m10 bolts instead of the heavy steel ones.

Yeah if I'm to get any Ti bolts I'll the whole bike out with them, make it so actually feel the difference :P

Edited by wilf

more engagements is a significant differentiatior. and rear end weight does make a difference, you get over it but when i went rear disc my bike felt a bit odd for a while.

Well My freewheel now has 72 eps so more is better! Yeah I'll probably feel the difference as I'm running a maggie now but I'll soon get used to it I think. In my head I think of it as being a good thing having more weight over the back, I guess it'll be more stable on the backwheel.

Cheers for your replies guys :)

Edited by wilf

I think a frame could help keep all those parts together?

Haha yeah I know mate, Just all this lot came up first and I won't be building it up until I've got everything ready so it doesn't make much difference :P

just a question, why do you buy an expensive headset, rather than a cheaper one that will do the job as fine?

I know nothing about them and I do not see the reason why would you get an expensive one for trials use

just a question, why do you buy an expensive headset, rather than a cheaper one that will do the job as fine?

I know nothing about them and I do not see the reason why would you get an expensive one for trials use

Good question dude, its because I already had this in my Patriot and I managed to pick up a Chris King Patriot headset to match :P only cost me £41 so the Red one became spare. Also just because of the sheer bling factor :P

• Like 1

He said in a post he wants to get most things new so I don't think money is a real issue due to it being a slow build :P

Nice headsets are a bling thing though, my fsa is perfect but it would still be sick to have a Chris king :P

• Like 1

Exactly, and when it effectively only cost me £41 I think it was worth it :P

Well, for £40 new, it is a bargain, I would bought that as well

But £120 for a headset for trials seem... excessive, especially as headsets does not get that extreme forces here as in DH

Well, for £40 new, it is a bargain, I would bought that as well

But £120 for a headset for trials seem... excessive, especially as headsets does not get that extreme forces here as in DH

Well I got this Red one in a bike, then I replaced it with the Patriot headset which I got for £40 secondhand, so effectively the Red one cost the same.

It may be excessive but as we've said its very much about the pimp factor, and they're light aswell.

• Like 1