3D modelling

forteh

I know there have been various threads on 3D models, both of the engineering and artistic sorts but I don't recall there being a repository thread like the art or BOTI ones.

Post pictures, screendumps, renders etc. What are you working on, what have you done, what are you planning on doing?

To kick off here are a couple of renders of one of the work projects I'm working on. It's a package sewage treatment plant, capable of treating crude sewage from around 600 people; they're bespoke design on a site by site basis and I have built the model to be completely parametrically linked - what used to take 3-4 weeks to copy and ammend in autocad should now take a few days. Done in solidworks 2014, total component count so far is 14,031, still got to model a load of compressor pipework and the tank covers which will probably take it over 17,000. We supply these all over the country to most of the major water authorities, we also have the contract to supply all sewage treatment works to the isle of mann for the next 10 years or so :)

Ja9gSRM.jpg

LHsZebN.jpg

• Like 4

Do you fancy doing my college cad assignments for me? hah

think its time for me to get some modeling programs on my home pc and start playing about

Nope, you can put the legwork in like I did 18 years ago ;)

What are the differences between autocad 2014 and solidworks 2014? (Talking about full autocad of course, not LT editions or inventor/mechanical)

Autocad is a 2D draughting package where as solidworks is a 3D parametric modeller; they are completely different animals, autodesk inventor is the closest analogue. Autocad can produce 3D models but no where near the power of solidworks/inventor unless they have started merging the two, I believe it is still mostly 2D based.

Why so many flanges on those orange pipes?

Mainly for positioning and installation purposes, they exit the tank at an angle of 130° from vertical and need to be reoriented with the lower bends so the bauer couplings are in a good ergonomic position for connection of tanker hoses.

The sections of straight pipe are put in for transport purposes, the tank is 5m wide, 4m deep and in this instance 17m long, the more we can remove for size reduction the cheaper the transport gets. The tank is backfilled with concrete to 100mm below flange level, by splitting the vertical pipes it allows us flexibility to change the pipework layout once they have been cast into the concrete.

Despite using sh*tty Solidworks every fecking day of my fecking life (Have I mentioned I love Solidworks?), I don't have any fancy models to show for it. We'll be lucky to find the time for a full render during this century :P

Ah the joys of being able to take your solidworks license home with you, you can mess around with renders and shit without wasting company time :D

As software it certainly has its foibles! It's great at breaking that massive assembly for no apparent reason and without intimate knowledge of everything involved on the model it can be a right twat to sort :( That said I'm conducting the migration from autocad to solidworks and as such I am developing the master models from which everything else will worked to - I know how every single component was modelled and how the assemblies and equations intertwine :)

Not familiar with the functionality you're describing? We're using workgroup pdm and exporting the pdfs to the server for other people to use; an element of human error possible if the latest versions aren't exported from the vault however we can't justify the cost of enterprise pdm and the pdfs will work well enough :)

Aye, renders were bog standard photoview with the resolution and a couple of settings bumped up; not overly familiar with rendering at the moment but it has highlighted that our GRP and polyethylene materials are too shiny :D

I haven't saved anything spectacular as everyone in class at uni isn't saved. But for an assignment roughly modelled a lorry to analyse in computational fluid dynamics (got 86% woo :D ).

WWlBOvU.jpg

gbpWp5e.jpg

Then recently used surface modelling to create a computer mouse! Starting from scratch. Never used surface modelling before as i've only done solid modelling.

Basically started with this, had to draw around the blue prints of the mouse

c0yEHiS.jpg

Ended up with this. Although it's not the smoothest bast in the world.

lZQjum7.jpg

Also used Solidwords to create something for my Final Year Project.

G6ZqLSR.png

And it's pretty f**king awesome to see them actually being made from something you've designed :D

CAM00199_zps856dfc57.jpg

Edited by dann2707

Some cool stuff in here.

Currently working designing Architectural metalwork, which tends to be fairly simple from a modeling point of view, so as to keep it simple for the guys in the workshop to make. I've not had much of a play with rendering though, so don't have any pretty pictures to show for it at the moment.

I'll find some examples of previous work when I get a chance.

Edited by RobinJI

Not familiar with the functionality you're describing? We're using workgroup pdm and exporting the pdfs to the server for other people to use; an element of human error possible if the latest versions aren't exported from the vault however we can't justify the cost of enterprise pdm and the pdfs will work well enough :)

Aye, renders were bog standard photoview with the resolution and a couple of settings bumped up; not overly familiar with rendering at the moment but it has highlighted that our GRP and polyethylene materials are too shiny :D

Whoops meant Parasolid. Since moving to Solidworks recently(ish) we found the Parasolid file formats to be amazing for sending solid models to manufacturers and FEA types. Seems to be so compatible and you can add so much info with great control over it. Have had far fewer follow up requests for drawings.

Btw check out TeamPlatform, syncs nicely with workgroup pdm but is a bit different than standard offerings. Has worked out cheaper for us, it may do for your set up too.

Ah gotcha, to be honest most of the drawings we send out are simple enough that they don't need further explanation, that said we do occasionally get the odd bit of confusion so I'll certainly look into the parasolids :)

I'm guessing that team platform is online project collaboration software? We often get roped into using various similar versions by our clients and they cause more hassle than help for us as a subcontractor. Certainly they have a use when you have multiple contractors working on the same project but in all honesty it wouldn't work for us as a company.

As software it certainly has its foibles! It's great at breaking that massive assembly for no apparent reason and without intimate knowledge of everything involved on the model it can be a right twat to sort :(

Haha, that is definitely not unique to Solidworks. I use NX at uni, and though I've never made an assembly as complex as yours, NX does quite the job at turning assemblies inside-out for the most baffling reasons.

I haven't saved anything spectacular as everyone in class at uni isn't saved. But for an assignment roughly modelled a lorry to analyse in computational fluid dynamics (got 86% woo :D ).

WWlBOvU.jpg

gbpWp5e.jpg

Here I am on TF, trying to avoid the work I've got to do very soon and you're here with your CFD! I've got to get analysis done on an Ahmed car body for next week, so I'll have a cock swinging competition and upload my superior simulation :P

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

On the vein of seeing something you designed being made :)

Here's a small project I designed a couple of months back, it's for washing sheets of vacuum formed polyethylene media so we can send them back to the manufacturer for recycling. Potentially it could save us up to £10k per unit so well worth the design investment. Essentially it is a pair of contra-rotating barrel brushes (much akin to a car wash) that will suck the media sheets through and spit them out the other side, should take about 3 seconds to scrub a 1.5m long sheet. The tank will have water and probably some detergent in it, the level has yet to be determined - could get quite messy if it's overfilled :D

Solidworks screencap with the tank set to transparency so you can see the brushes a bit better,

post-6335-0-18989600-1398766309_thumb.jp

Equivalent view photo of the actual machine being assembled in the workshop

post-6335-0-37495700-1398766318_thumb.jp

And another for good measure.

post-6335-0-41164900-1398766323_thumb.jp

edit: dropbox links are b0rked! :( Attached the images instead.

Edited by forteh

So here's a couple of renders from work today.

RearPerspective03.jpg

SidePerspective.jpg

FrontPerspective.jpg

Only a basic model as it's a feasibility to take to the Planning Department so couldn't spend too many hours on it. Going to be doing some quick photo-montages tomorrow.

Please also bare in mind I only started 3D modelling in the past 2 months, didn't even bother with it at Uni.

• Like 1