Echo Splined Cranks And Freewheel (and webpage!)

isitafox

Looks like Mr Deng is moving with the times, he's sorted a brand new webpage out for Echo (about time) which has loads of new sections including updates on team riders, videos and new product news like these http://www.echo.bike/new-sl-splined-cranks--freewheel.html. Not sure I fancy running SL cranks but I like the idea of a splined freewheel.

I like the idea of a splined freewheel.

Since you can remove them with no vice, and you dont need to worry about the threads, like cross threading, they are my favourite too!

Will the freewheel be held on by fairy dust? *gentlydoesit: The freewheel ought to slide on to the spline with a fairly snug fit (like sprockets/cassettes on hubs) and a lockring would then tighten up against the freewheel to stop any lateral movement.

8121891.jpg?1398403185

had to be somthing like that ;) nothing visable in that rendering though

• 3 months later...

Well it states on the page that the splined cranks and freewheel will be available in August, with the month nearly over has anyone heard anything more??

Someone else wrote about 24'' sl rims coming out last month or was it in June? Haven't seen any yet.

Little update on their website:

"Newly 3D designed SL splined cranks and splined freewheel, available now. The new cranks use a whole 7075 - T6 aluminum sheet and adopting the CNC processing technique, will be splined instead of the traditional 1.37''*24T threaded design. The new design ensures correct alignment of the freewheel, chain and sprocket reducing skipping. It is also easier assemble and disassemble allowing for easier freewheel changes."

2868257_orig.jpg

6596231_orig.jpg

Don't really like the red, but otherwise look great. Looks like the freewheel is held in place by the drive side BB top hat shaped axle spacer.

As it's all fancy and CNC'd I wouldn't have thought it would have gone down to the TR level because it'd just end up making them pretty expensive, so it would sort of negate the point of having a cheap-to-mid and then top of the range pair of cranks? Plus as it looks like you have to have their specific BB setup for it too work if they do actually hold the freewheel on with that drive-side spacer, making all of your cranks exclusively fit your BB/frames might not be ideal financially rather than having your cheaper cranks more widely compatible.

EDIT: That said, that is all based on logic, and as it's Echo we're dealing with here: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As i understand, it is not how ISIS splines are supposed to work,

So a two pieces cranckset would have been better.

And i really don't get why echo uses their own splines instead of shimano splines like crewkerz for cranksets and hubs, or Ozonys for hubs.

This is not really user friendly.