Echo Splined Cranks And Freewheel (and webpage!)

isitafox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I ordered a splined freewheel by mistake and instead of returning it I thought I'd go deeper down the rabbit hole and also order a pair of splined TR cranks to go with it and give it ago.

The cranks arrived today  but the retailer forgot to include the spacers, so now I have an excuse to return them If I don't think they are good enough.

I put them on the kitchen scales and they weigh the same as the old threaded TR cranks:

uXDD2q2zni6EVXnA

NQyZO1vhxZ3eikHD

The crank itself, before CNCing, is the exact same as the old crank. After CNCing, the new cranks has a new cross section. To use I-beam terminology, the new cranks have thinner flanges and a thicker web (the bit in the middle). In the following diagram which shows the crank cross-section, (2) would be the old design, and (3) the new one. As you can see, (2) has a deeper grove but thicker flanges, while (3) has a shallower groove and thinner flanges. I'm not sure this was a good design decision; maybe someone from a mechanical design background can comment.

2cwuBYooAbOAWSe7

Somehow the old design looks stiffer and beefier:

SDXKgum1M0Znw2Nt

3mF4KsTXzN2IJMsf

2zIb21BvUKNrBdVO

yXbKLfyxpBPGZL7l

3O7EB3CPZyp0yKWg

Should I keep 'em or just go for threaded ones?

• 5 years later...