Continental Danny MacAskill Air King Tyre

Sam Nichols

Duncan used them on his Echo for a while and seemed to like them. They've got a better compound than pretty much all of the more knobbly tyres, they've got decent sidewalls (they did a single ply and a dual(ish) ply version when they were prototyping them, and from the weight they seem to have gone for the thicker sidewalls), a good tread pattern - the main 'downside' is the price but if you're happy with that they're probably worth a pop. I'd imagine they'll be pretty easy to sell on even if you don't like them...

Handmade tyres for the win!! I assume they're the black chilli compound. If only they made a mod tyre.....

- Constructed from the Continental's renowned Black Chili compound, offering fantastic grip without the fast wear rate usually associated with it.

From tarty website

£50 is hardly expensive?

Sticky lites and monty pro races are £50 and they're mod tyres aka smalller

the problem (?) is that everyone is comparing them to Holy rollers, that are/were the no 1, when I asked about tires, I got like 10 people saying Holy rollers, 2-3 people other.

This tyre must perform well, if it want to win over the holy rollers that are proven and half price of them

the problem (?) is that everyone is comparing them to Holy rollers, that are/were the no 1, when I asked about tires, I got like 10 people saying Holy rollers, 2-3 people other.

at the time I agreed. Holy Roller was the best tire for streety 24's, however the problem with them is that they are the best of a bad bunch. It was the only tire that really fitted your requirements.

I am pretty sure people would have said this tire, had it been out but it wasn't, and nor was there any clarity on its impending release.

anyway...i've bought a pair of the contis. just hope i can get danny to sign them. you want my holy rollers?

at the time I agreed. Holy Roller was the best tire for streety 24's, however the problem with them is that they are the best of a bad bunch. It was the only tire that really fitted your requirements.

I am pretty sure people would have said this tire, had it been out but it wasn't, and nor was there any clarity on its impending release.

anyway...i've bought a pair of the contis. just hope i can get danny to sign them. you want my holy rollers?

You've been watching too many BSD vids pal.

You've tired of tyres it seems :)

I just bought a pair of new Holy Rollers, and it seems more than sufficient for me at the moment

When they will be dead I will take a look at the Contis, if they will worth the money for me (aka a guy with a different name then Ali C :) )

You've been watching too many BSD vids pal.

You've tired of tyres it seems :)

I am tired of holy roller punctures. There was no compromise on tire pressure. If you don't want punctures you need a rock hard pressure. I like to still ride trialsy where possible. In fact i've had to cut an ol' 26 DH tube up and use it as a liner / second ply of my tire at the moment just to reduce the number of punctures i get at the moment.

From riding the guys bikes in glasgow, the conti's do seem to be a great tire for how i want to ride. I certainly havent heard any real complaints from them.

That said, if i could ride like the guys in the BSD vids then i'd run my tires rock hard and holy rollers would be fine. I <3 BSD

I am tired of holy roller punctures. There was no compromise on tire pressure. If you don't want punctures you need a rock hard pressure. I like to still ride trialsy where possible. In fact i've had to cut an ol' 26 DH tube up and use it as a liner / second ply of my tire at the moment just to reduce the number of punctures i get at the moment.

From riding the guys bikes in glasgow, the conti's do seem to be a great tire for how i want to ride. I certainly havent heard any real complaints from them.

That said, if i could ride like the guys in the BSD vids then i'd run my tires rock hard and holy rollers would be fine. I <3 BSD

Nah, I was just being a dick as you spelt it 'tire'. In that new BSD donna squeak edit they got called out for not using the word 'tyre'.

I've no doubt the Conti's will be great….I use the Holy Rollers at 45 PSI + so have no issues, but like you say using them for trialsy stuff is a real compromise. They'll look pretty damned sweet on your Arcade.

PS, do you use DH tubes currently in your Holly Rollers?

I get you now Matt...I'm sure either way is fine no?

Got them on now. No pictures yet guys I'm afraid but much nicer aesthetically in my opinion

EDIT: sorry matt - I just ran standard tubes, but recently cut up an old DH tube to make the rear beast a 'dual ply' as such with a standard tube in there...

Edited by ben_travis
  • Like 1

Really good points, Mark.. the quality should be superb.. but the question is, if the quality is noticeable when you ride them.
I need a new pair of tyres and I'm really interested in how they feel.. aaand have a little tartybikes voucher. So, I'll try them out, I think. Will be fun anyway.

Does anybody of you know how fast they wear down compared to Holy Rollers?

Does anybody of you know how fast they wear down compared to Holy Rollers?

Ali had a pair that he ran while we were filming at Dressler Camp and for his Arcade video, and despite a predilection for skids they didn't really seem to wear much at all. Having seen how long Rubber Queen/Der Kaiser tyres last hopefully they'll be pretty durable.