Continental Danny MacAskill Air King Tyre

Sam Nichols

Has anyone else made experiences with this tyre on a TGS bike? What about wet rock sections? How would (do) they compare to Maxxis Super Tacky tyres? I don't know if you need nobs on a tyre to make it a good one for natural riding.

I don't mean to cause offence but at your level of riding, no, you won’t notice too much of a difference. Their durometer reading on TB is 55a compared to the 50a of the Maxxis super tacky, so on paper, no, it’s not as grippy but there’s so many factors which can determine how grippy your tyre is going to be and how well it will perform. Pressure, rim width, wear, etc. have to be considered. In most cases it’s down to the rider. An elite rider could find grip on a Maxx Pro compound where a beginner couldn’t on a Slow Reezay.

As for needing nobs on your tyre for natural, it depends on a few things. The Air Kings are going to be best suited to boulders/rocks with rounded and soft edges. Sharp and right angled rocks require nobly tyres. They're also better for when it’s muddy.

I don't mean to cause offence but at your level of riding, no, you won’t notice too much of a difference. Their durometer reading on TB is 55a compared to the 50a of the Maxxis super tacky, so on paper, no, it’s not as grippy but there’s so many factors which can determine how grippy your tyre is going to be and how well it will perform. Pressure, rim width, wear, etc. have to be considered. In most cases it’s down to the rider. An elite rider could find grip on a Maxx Pro compound where a beginner couldn’t on a Slow Reezay.

As for needing nobs on your tyre for natural, it depends on a few things. The Air Kings are going to be best suited to boulders/rocks with rounded and soft edges. Sharp and right angled rocks require nobly tyres. They're also better for when it’s muddy.

No offense taken. I know that my rig is much better than my riding. Currently I'm doing only street TGS (with some rocky sections as well) which is, I suppose, exactly what the conti is made for. What I'm mostly concerned about is the wet performance of my tyre as I don't care about the wheather and will be riding in the rain as well.

Btw.... isn't the super tacky a 45a compound?

Oh and wasn't it you who told me to put a conti on my Echo Dual Disc? I hate you for that because I'm actually considering buying that tyre.

edit: The Conti weighs 400gr. less than a High Roller ST which is quite a difference...

Edited by niconj

Looking at Dannys many media updates, he loves to ride in the rain. So I dont think you'll have a problem with grip when it comes to wet conditions. Just dont expect them to stick like shit to bed sheets on marble after a down pour.

You do know you're not allowed to run only one of those tyres? It has to be a pair. The big fat baldy bast*rd with the beard who works for Conti will come in the night and tie your legs in a knot round your head if you dont.

• Like 2

Looking at Dannys many media updates, he loves to ride in the rain. So I dont think you'll have a problem with grip when it comes to wet conditions. Just dont expect them to stick like shit to bed sheets on marble after a down pour.

You do know you're not allowed to run only one of those tyres? It has to be a pair. The big fat baldy bast*rd with the beard who works for Conti will come in the night and tie your legs in a knot round your head if you dont.

I know him. He's my mother in law. Won't have any problems with him though.

• 1 month later...

Really well. Even though it rained very heavy the night before the trial there. Though I saw the grip improve a lot on the second round once it started drying out.

I will be taking them to Shipley for round 5 national finals too.

Really well. Even though it rained very heavy the night before the trial there. Though I saw the grip improve a lot on the second round once it started drying out.

I will be taking them to Shipley for round 5 national finals too.

I guess you would recommend buying them for a pogo stick then? I'm running a HighRoller Super Tacky at the moment but it's almost 500gr. heavier than the conti.

I got a pair for my 24 last weekend. Very pleased so far. I have only ridden street so far but even in the wet the grip is impressive. I have a had one pinch flat when I ran a low pressure and landed a gap to a sharp brick very harshly but no probs since then & I usually get a pinch flat every ride on my hollyrollers.

• 2 years later...