Best V-Brake Lever?

Max F

Thanks for all the answers!

The problem I always noticed with my V-Brake was that, when the pads touch the rim and you pull the lever harder, a lot of the force goes into sliding the pads down on the rim instead of pushing them harder against it, because the arms naturally rotate around their mount.
(That can cause me pulling the lever straight onto my hand when landing gaps and pulling the brake too hard)

Seems like XT and XTR arms use a system called "parallel push" ... could that solve the problem?

No way an sd7 over an Xtr! Sd7 are a nice shape & slightly longer but they feel cheap & develop so much rattle they might as well be an sd3.

Xtr levers have bushings on the pivot to keep rattle away,not just a pin slid through a hole like avid. Even one from 1998 will be perfect.

I've been using the same set up for pretty much 2 years now.

Currently using a trp lever http://www.starbike.com/images/TRP/2007/hires/ML930.jpg

Have used the carbon lever which is good, bit shorter and after I bent it ( I bend all my levers) went back to the standard lever and actually prefer it.

Avid ultimate sd7 body and Tnn pads

I've been using these for quite a while now... http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/cable_pull_levers/shimano_xt_t780_vbrake_lever_set/c555p12055.html

absolutely cannot fault them at all, build quality is very nice and solid, it has a hinge/split clamp so no need to remove grips to take the lever off!

bit on the pricey side but that is for a pair of levers with all the inner and outer cables included in the kit (the cable in the kit is very good quality as well)

i've tried a number of other lever's but the all round shape and feel of these seems to suit me just right, they are almost the same length as a four finger hs33 lever blade so you get a huge amount of leverage without actually putting much force into the lever!