Frame making tick noises

ericbenjaminjr

I had multiple click and tick noises after building up my Ozonys Cannibal V4. Some of the sounds came from a defective ISIS mount on my left crank. So I got it replaced and my bike was silent. But every once and a while I would hear a single very faint tick. So I pushed and pulled on my cranks, bars and fork and would hear it every once and a while but not in such a way that I knew what I had to do to reproduce it. So I wedged the back wheel between my legs and twisted the bars and I could reproduce it every time.

So now I'm thinking it could be the headset or bars but the sound keeps coming from the center where the bb is. But in twisting the bars with the back wheel wedged between my legs, theres no force at all on the bb. So I took the bike apart. Removed the wheels, fork, headset and bb leaving nothing but the frame just to exclude my worst fear. With the dropouts on the floor wedged between my feet, I stuck a broom stick through the head tube and twisted lightly and there is it, that light tick coming from the bb area. Its the f**king frame. I've inspected it for cracks but cant find any.

So now what? I don't know if I can send the frame back to Ozonys since I've powder coated it. And if I could they take ages to ship stuff and I probably wont get another one back until the summers almost over. I don't have a clue what it could be but I probably wont have a the confidence I need to really ride anyway. WTF :'(

Edited by iTrialer

I thought I was detailed enough in my description. Theres nothing on the frame anymore dude. Since I've posted I've even removed the bb. The frame is bare. With the dropouts on the floor wedged between my feet, I stuck a broom stick through the head tube and twisted lightly. I hear that same very faint tick coming from the bb area.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but inside the bb, once side is welded from the inside but the other side is, well I don't even know what to call it.

post-36904-0-19659900-1404413030_thumb.j

post-36904-0-11312400-1404413020_thumb.j

From my inspection so far it seems like its metal rubbing against metal, I think where the down tube meets the bb. That could work itself into a crack over time. I've been building bikes since about 18 years and its just not me to tolerate such a thing. Its just not me to tolerate some half baked half broke shit with anything I touch. I don't care who rides with what noises not knowing if theres any more stress being put in their bikes than a retiree puts on their nordic walking sticks. Noises I can handle because I can fix them. But the f**king frame is creaking and thats not supposed to be. Its brand new and I've only ridden it a hand full of times.

My neon bow creaked as well from the BB area. I couldn't find any source for it either. I've since got an inspired and. using all of the same componants and no creaking. I think some frames just creak. Not much you can do about it.

Really?! So creaking is "acceptable"? Not covered in the warranty?

From my inspection so far it seems like its metal rubbing against metal, I think where the down tube meets the bb. That could work itself into a crack over time. I've been building bikes since about 18 years and its just not me to tolerate such a thing. Its just not me to tolerate some half baked half broke shit with anything I touch. I don't care who rides with what noises not knowing if theres any more stress being put in their bikes than a retiree puts on their nordic walking sticks. Noises I can handle because I can fix them. But the f**king frame is creaking and thats not supposed to be. Its brand new and I've only ridden it a hand full of times.

Really?! So creaking is "acceptable"? Not covered in the warranty?

I'm the same, it drives me nuts, as its a sign that something isn't right. My old limey 3 creaked like hell, and it drove me mad. Partly the reason I got rid, as well as swapping just about every part to try and shift it. It is unacceptable if its a new frame Edited by bing
  • Like 1

I thought I was detailed enough in my description. Theres nothing on the frame anymore dude. Since I've posted I've even removed the bb. The frame is bare. With the dropouts on the floor wedged between my feet, I stuck a broom stick through the head tube and twisted lightly. I hear that same very faint tick coming from the bb area.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but inside the bb, once side is welded from the inside but the other side is, well I don't even know what to call it.

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

neither are welded internally, both are just the penetration from the external weld.

neither are welded internally, both are just the penetration from the external weld.

Thanks for that. I obviously know nothing about welding. Any idea if riding the frame with such noises could mean cracking at some point?

If you could post a video it might make it easier to diagnose.

Heres the video:

sorry to say and deffo dont want to alert you mate,but every single frame i've seen in years over years as a bike mechanic if making that noise had some kind of crack.

maybe some weld not being fully closed and joint faces rubbing each other but definitely a warranty case imo

Edited by FamilyBiker

Everything I've ever read about the Cannibal says its a strong and durable frame that will outlast many others. Every review, every Cannibal owner I've come across in this forum and OTN all say the same thing using different terms: solid frame. Thats one of the reasons I chose it. I studied up on it for months. But I have to admit, it didn't feel as solid in my hands naked as my echo control did. And built up it had a bit more flex to it as well. But I really love the geo. Can't imagine what I would want as an alternative...

Its just not me to tolerate some half baked half broke shit with anything I touch.

So throw it away. By your own logic you can't tolerate it and you won't get a warranty. Time for a new frame. Maybe don't invalidate the warranty of the next one.

So throw it away. By your own logic you can't tolerate it and you won't get a warranty. Time for a new frame. Maybe don't invalidate the warranty of the next one.

No I don't tolerate broke shit especially if it could endanger my health. I don't know yet if powder coating invalidates the warranty. If it does, yes I'll buy a new one. I'll test it because I do learn from my mistakes and I'll powder coat the f**ker again. But thanks for the advice anyways. :glare:

Sounds like my welds, insufficient penetration to the material so the metal is only held together on one side on the surface. Meaning there's room to creak and ping and crack and flack and back and smack.

Powder coating will void the warranty, maybe wait till the warranty has expired next time?

It will be fine to ride just man up :P

Sounds like my welds, insufficient penetration to the material so the metal is only held together on one side on the surface. Meaning there's room to creak and ping and crack and flack and back and smack.

It will be fine to ride just man up :P

Ally is a bit like that, you really only penetrate one side.

Imagine two layers of cling film with water in the middle to be the composition of the metal, you can only weld through the first layer into the water. If you go through both sides the water leaks out. In ally that means a big hole :/

Ally weld is prone to shrink cracking, and the crack can be incredibly fine. Could be responsible for the sound??

I'll see what comes back from Ozonys. I really do love the geo, its the only modern frame of its kind. Man up and ride until it maybe or maybe not cracks when I do 7 foot drop? Not me man. Call me a pussy for that, I can live with that.

So much planning went into this. Planning a bike to ride for a long time like all my past ones. Each one lasted for years without any problems or me changing a single part. Just today I sent off two boxes of defective parts I was dealing with while building this. So please forgive me if I'm some what pissy and arrogant. Just not happy right now...

totally understand this.

but in my opinion you wont get a quality like it was there years ago,everything just seems to be produced in a rush,with poor qc.

i could even imagine its the same as with china clones,some frames come from one supplier,some from another and so on.

mate of me rides a frame from 2003,t'was designed as a comp frame back in the days,he is 100kg and bashing street on it,held up fine since now.

just dont expect quality stuff for our genre anymore,seen too much sh*t,offset pedal threads,even offset stem tubes,frames that held up a month from purchase etc

• Like 1

You're so so right. I remember when I first started riding, my first bike fell apart quickly. I was a beginner and trials just didn't have the experience with what was a new trend with mod-like stock bikes. Then they got better, most of them were bomb proof. 7075 aluminum started its uprise then parts reached their peak. You could buy almost anything. Then the light frenzy started BB heights went up, frames got thinner, more holes holes and more holes. And while I was still on my Adamant A1 the endless threads of broken frames and forks started.

• Like 2