pad backings, removle/fitting

jack dickinson

i have a pair of family bikers pads. but no backings. i have a spare set of tnn adms in cnc backings, i want to put them in the backings that the tnns are in. however there is over 5 mm of life left in the tnn's. can i get the adm material out witout damaging it?

or should i just buy new backings?

sensible answers only please

i just use my fingers, i dont see whats so hard about removing them and why people struggle, unless im unlucky and get the set with hardly any glue? dunno :S

however, if youve got a metal vice put the rubber in it and the backing on top so you can squeeze it out. id be surprised if that doesn't work :)

if you want to remove pads in the future,just remove the o-ring,then put them in an oven thats adjusted to 150 degrees and just starting to heat up.

just when the little light goes off a.nd the 150° have been reached,turn the oven off and let it cool down a bit.

after that you can take the pads out of the backings by hand with no effort

ye olde heatsink trick,works every time :)

edit:i'dprefer the pads to be called "trimps" :)

Edited by FamilyBiker

if you want to remove pads in the future,just remove the o-ring,then put them in an oven thats adjusted to 150 degrees and just starting to heat up.

just when the little light goes off a.nd the 150° have been reached,turn the oven off and let it cool down a bit.

after that you can take the pads out of the backings by hand with no effort

ye olde heatsink trick,works every time :)

edit:i'dprefer the pads to be called "trimps" :)

no offense but i think the word trimps is a little gay. and a have an aga? so no idea what you just said...

• Like 1

not really interested in how gay that sounds for people man,its just a brand name and stands for "trials rimbrake pad".

kot (which basically means excrements in german :) ) or jaf werent any better ;)

also got your pads today and 2 thinks, try and get all the bubbles out and add some sort of fragrance because they smeel like dog shit, seriously smell one, i was sick in my mouth when i realized

mate,its rubber compound,everything you'd add or spare would massively change the physical properties of the pads.

how often do you put your nose near your brakes?

yeah,the bubbles,i dont think they decrease the overall performance but theyre annoying :)

will get a pressure chamber sorted if my project takes off,which isnt in any way certain yet

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

mate,its rubber compound,everything you'd add or spare would massively change the physical properties of the pads.

how often do you put your nose near your brakes?

yeah,the bubbles,i dont think they decrease the overall performance but theyre annoying :)

will get a pressure chamber sorted if my project takes off,which isnt in any way certain yet

i think it will. the pad will be flexier, and have less surface area of contact.... less braking powerr. room for imporvement id say

for now i am pretty surprised by the performance,but thanks for the input.

this was the thing i was working on anyways,that effing bubbles :)

cant do something about the smell,its just those deadly chemicals and radioactive isotopes i am using.

remember to not trying to eat them,it will grow you some spare extremities hahaha

• Like 1

no,no i think its good to get input,thanks really.

but my thoughts are,this is just a hobby project by now,even IF their performance is suffering from bubbles in the pad body its just not a professionally produced pad,i am doing this in my very own kitchen and there are like 30 sets of pads by now,c'mon,if one set is dead,here comes the next one.

if a set only lasts a month i have pads for years,here in my kitchen,for 4 euros a set.

its just that i dont think theyre thaaaat bad,have ridden mine 3x2hours now and no signs of wear.riding manuals and spins where you have to drag the brakes a fair bit more than in pure trials,where its more on/off.

try to slow down a manual to a backwheel stance,thats resulting in more wear than say,gap-close brake mid air-land...

i like them

big grin everytime i pull the rear brake.

funny thing happened today for example:a few days ago i put some on the front wheel of my commuter,just for fun mainly and to check smooth rim performance.

today i had to do a full-on stop because a car driver decided to enter the street with his audi backwards without looking first.

what should i say?new fork installed now,the old one bent from the braking force :)

i went a bit offtopic here sorry.do the oven trick mate :)

Edited by FamilyBiker

Have you even tried them yet jack?

Posting performance related criticism before you've even run them for a decent amount of time is both a waste of time and useless to everyone.

It wasnt critersizm morer advice, obviously the pad wont produce its full prefomance if its packed with bubles bubles.

for now i am pretty surprised by the performance,but thanks for the input.

this was the thing i was working on anyways,that effing bubbles :)

cant do something about the smell,its just those deadly chemicals and radioactive isotopes i am using.

remember to not trying to eat them,it will grow you some spare extremities hahaha

Proberbly shouldnt have licked one then, the taste is worse than the smell

Im joking i didnt got that far....

It wasnt critersizm morer advice, obviously the pad wont produce its full prefomance if its packed with bubles bubles.

yeah it'll loose like 1% if that, and pads slip anyway when they're not ridden properly (landings and balance point put together ect) i would have thought bubbles would offer more bite, after all its how a rim grind works accept the other way around i guess? :)

Edited by JJ Leigh

no,no i think its good to get input,thanks really.

but my thoughts are,this is just a hobby project by now,even IF their performance is suffering from bubbles in the pad body its just not a professionally produced pad,i am doing this in my very own kitchen and there are like 30 sets of pads by now,c'mon,if one set is dead,here comes the next one.

if a set only lasts a month i have pads for years,here in my kitchen,for 4 euros a set.

its just that i dont think theyre thaaaat bad,have ridden mine 3x2hours now and no signs of wear.riding manuals and spins where you have to drag the brakes a fair bit more than in pure trials,where its more on/off.

try to slow down a manual to a backwheel stance,thats resulting in more wear than say,gap-close brake mid air-land...

i like them

big grin everytime i pull the rear brake.

funny thing happened today for example:a few days ago i put some on the front wheel of my commuter,just for fun mainly and to check smooth rim performance.

today i had to do a full-on stop because a car driver decided to enter the street with his audi backwards without looking first.

what should i say?new fork installed now,the old one bent from the braking force :)

i went a bit offtopic here sorry.do the oven trick mate :)

Well ill testing them on smooth rims as i refuse to grind my new rims. So ill let you know how i get on woth them. And i dont care that this has gone off topic because i had my answer anyway.

yeah it'll loose like 1% if that, and pads slip anyway when they're not ridden properly (landings and balance point put together ect) i would have thought bubbles would offer more bite, after all its how a rim grind works accept the other way around i guess? :)

I think you have this wrong, im thinking completely the oposite to you. You get as much bite, if not more with smooth rims, just theu have to be dry

And not all pads slip, i know mine dont

soft pads slip on grinds and hard pads slip on smooth rims in my experience,thats why i aimed for something in between with my compound.as for the brake,the whole setup makes the performance.a setup can benefit from a booster or go downhill because of it,because other factors play in as well.

Edited by FamilyBiker

doesnt matter who tries them,the more input the better.world is full of clowns and bell ends,storytellers and cheaters.but that doesnt matter in terms of testing a brake pad.

people just ride and tell me how their experiences were.also i dont know jack in person and cant follow the beef some may have with him,its not mine.

got david hoffmann and dave kerr as pro level testers,and i believe their opinions are the most critical ones that will be stated,looking forward to this.

for everyone else its just "check it out for cheap" and more important "checked it out?how is it?"

;)

Edited by FamilyBiker

Have you even tried them yet jack?

Posting performance related criticism before you've even run them for a decent amount of time is both a waste of time and useless to everyone.

Giving advice full stop I'd say

• Like 2

I don't know why people have so much trouble taking pads out of backings. I've used multiple TNN's, Heatsink CNCs, Rockmans and plain ol' plastic backings and they all came off easily with a pair of flat nose pliers. Boiling them and putting them in the oven seems a bit extreme and wasting gas/electricty... :blink: