2x BB7 calipers

2x Adaptors for 180 rotors

2x 180 ECHO rotors

2x Avid FR5 Levers

2x ECLAT CORE Linear cables

All this costs me 140 GBP.

Condition is almost new(picture of front brake for example):

e4c5e56371e8c8335e48c5c02a6abcba.jpeg

And now I can't sell it even for 67 GBP for a whole set! Every single .... tells me that they cost 50 GBP maximum for whole set! What's wrong? They arguing that some chineese china guy made in china sells for 40GBP 2xCalipers and 2xRotors brand new on EBAY.

Is it truth? BB7 really costs a penny or what?

The second thing to discuss:

Why are everyone hates mech brakes? Everywhere you look is hydro. They prefer even shitty tektro that leaks like a ... and other cheapest hydro "brakes" that even "cannot into braking" to top level mechanics.

Even in trials and street-trials there are only few riders who use mech brakes.

I've used BB7 (old and new type) for a year on 3 of my bikes and I can't say nothing bad about them. They are awesome, powerful and reliable as hell. Modulation? Yes it's a bit worse but no more than that. Set and forget for years.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

I ran a pair of BB7's on my fourplay a while back, got the pair 2nd hand for about £50. The front was brilliant but the back was awful even with a linear cable which is why I got rid. An Echo caliper with a £15 Shimano lever was far better!

Likewise: I went dual bb7 (203's on 24"), never found the rear was all that much hold (in comparison to a hydro) (also probably didn't let it bed in all that much admittedly) so now I'm hydro rear and kept the BB7 on the front, to be honest it's savage! thought about a smaller rotor or putting a hope back on, just to do stoppies again (big fan of stoppies). But then again, the BB7 - it works, another thing with a smaller rotor is I have this weird thing of the bike looking symmetrical (ha), but like I say, it works so I shouldn't in anyway complain.

Edited by trials26

You paid £140 for all that? Too much.

I just did a quick eBay search and came up with the below for £115.18. I know they are not the same as what you got but the SD7 levers and Jagwire cable kit is a better choice in my opinion. They're not even the cheapest options out there, you can get cheaper cables/rotors etc. Plus you have 2 spare 160mm rotors and post mounts that you can sell which can bring the total down to sub £100 easily.

So take the £100 and imagine other people selling this similarly priced setup, £50-£60 sounds about right if you ask me. Depending on condition of course. I remember buying my first SD7 lever / Jagwire cables / BB7 Caliper / 180m Rotor for £35 off someone here in new condition, so even 2 of that would come to £70 which is still half of what you paid new.

160mm Calipers and Rotors £52.50

Avid SD7 Levers £17.50

180mm Post Mounts £11.90 for 2

180mm Rotors £16.99 for 2

Jagwire Brake Cable kit £16.29

Personally I prefer my BB7. Had a BB5 before which I regret selling for a Hope mono mini, the BB5 was savage. My current BB7 setup is fork snappingly sweet too. Holds and bites spot on.

You paid £140 for all that? Too much.

I just did a quick eBay search and came up with the below for £115.18. I know they are not the same as what you got but the SD7 levers and Jagwire cable kit is a better choice in my opinion. They're not even the cheapest options out there, you can get cheaper cables/rotors etc. Plus you have 2 spare 160mm rotors and post mounts that you can sell which can bring the total down to sub £100 easily.

So take the £100 and imagine other people selling this similarly priced setup, £50-£60 sounds about right if you ask me. Depending on condition of course. I remember buying my first SD7 lever / Jagwire cables / BB7 Caliper / 180m Rotor for £35 off someone here in new condition, so even 2 of that would come to £70 which is still half of what you paid new.

160mm Calipers and Rotors £52.50

Avid SD7 Levers £17.50

180mm Post Mounts £11.90 for 2

180mm Rotors £16.99 for 2

Jagwire Brake Cable kit £16.29

Personally I prefer my BB7. Had a BB5 before which I regret selling for a Hope mono mini, the BB5 was savage. My current BB7 setup is fork snappingly sweet too. Holds and bites spot on.

Well, then I see no reason to sell a set of great brakes for a penny. I have had some hope mono minies, they was worse than BB5 so I sold them.

My front BB7 feels like hydro (because of short cable without too much bends I guess), rear feels a bit worse but still pretty sharp. Linear cable does its job.

One more question: Does it make sense to oil cables?

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

Opinion filled yes, but why argument? If by argument you mean people sharing opinions and experiences then surely that is the purpose of a forum.

yea it just seem's that most brake related threads on here (or nearly any thread started by cleric) seem to end up in an enormous 10 way argument filled with completely irrelevant and incoherent information, which usually ends up in some sort of completely off topic argument!

here's a random snippet of information for this thread.. on my inspired, on a standard hope 180 rotor, after hours and hours and days of trying different setups, i ended up getting much more feel, hold, bite and modulation out of a £10 onza mech disc brake caliper than i did out of both the hope tech trials calipers i had on there!.