Parallel linkage brake lever

Herbertlemon102

Okay, ignoring the position of the lever blade (not really a blade but you get the idea) this is an idea I though of, to make hydraulic levers more compact, and also act as a grip stop because of the levers actual size and positioning. In this drawing I did the lever blade would be too close to the bars, and I dislike the shape, but I can change that later.

It works in a similar way to a cars parallel linkage suspension. The green rods are both linkages. The linkage on the left is half the size of the linkage on the right. The linkage on the right is what actually presses the piston, which is at the very top of the drawing . This means you get the same amount of leverage as a normal lever but in a smaller space, so the handlebar clamp can be situated against the grip as a grip stop, and only one finger can be used on the blade (as it should be) it also means the piston is facing backwards.

I hope what I've said makes sense, feedback is welcome.

post-37174-0-94031600-1406396558_thumb.j

Edited by Herbertlemon102

they made parallel levers years ago but not for hydraulic brakes. It would work but is kinda trying to fix something that's not broken.

I see what you mean, the only advantages are it's weight and positioning really, maybe the beer I've drunk is starting to get to me.

It'll have some more impact resistance.

due to the linkage, the force doesn't go directly onto the piston but rather the linkage itself, so if I made one I'd have to make sure it was a solid piece of material to give it the extra resistance, but yes, figuratively, it should have better resistance

I agree that there isn't a problem that this solves, however for some reason I'd like to run it because I can... Wobbly linkages are a definite possibility,, depending on how it is made it might not have any of those problems. Of course, that won't happen , so I'm just putting on airs and can't disagree with the fact it probably would be wobblyy.

I disagree on the durability, more parts means smaller weaker parts and more pivots means more chance for a wobbly blade.

Probably won't be any lighter due to the extra material needed for the linkages etc. Nice concept, but as Ali said, creating a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.

Oh, there's no mechanical advantage, in esscense they produce the same amount of leverage, bit since there's more pivots In my design, unless it's made properly it'll be utter balls. The only advantage is positioning, really.

Less mechanical advantage than a normal piston lever.

Hang on a minute, I should be supporting my design! Uh... Mechanical advantage of parallel linkage, the lever moves in a lateral direction instead of an arc like a normal lever, because if the extra pivots, meaning it's a f**ker to maintai- I mean, awesome.

Less mechanical advantage than a normal piston lever.

1 fulcrum has an advantage over multiple.

Pulling the lever down to activate lateral link.. 1 fulcrum. Lateral link acting on piston.. 2nd fulcrum. You cannot achieve linear force in a brake lever application ;)

Hey, I know what that word means! Where my medal? And due to the fact it's a parallel linkage system, you can achieve lateral force, as it's the same system as the dual wishbones in a cars suspension acting on the suspension... Except the suspension is a piston. If that's what you meant.

1 fulcrum has an advantage over multiple.

Pulling the lever down to activate lateral link.. 1 fulcrum. Lateral link acting on piston.. 2nd fulcrum. You cannot achieve linear force in a brake lever application ;)

Sorry *linear

And there's 5 "fulcrums"/ pivots, which doesn't help my case but yeah.

You pull 90° to the effective load bearing link, pivoting on the centre. That fulcrum is too far away from the piston to transfer load efficiently

The piston link side scribes an ark I'm motion, as does the lever. The piston moves linear.

One direct acting lever has more advantage imo

Edited by *gentlydoesit