Why no validation?

I'd happily see validation come back so we could finally see the back of Clerictgm. Would be worth it purely for that as all he seems to do is plough into other peoples topics and take over with his bullshit arguments. I know there is a forum update available (albeit a minor one which should sort the copy/paste issue) but I reckon it'd be worth bringing the validation system back when it gets done, if only for say a 6 month trial period to see how we go on.

I can understand Toms original idea behind getting rid but to be fair he and Danny are barely on here anymore and when they are Danny mostly posts in the Car thread so neither of them really have to deal with the problems, quick_spider and george_seamons occasionally pop up but otherwise I'm pretty much dealing with them myself.

• Like 1

The problem I see with a validation policy of old (as I have understood it) is that you won't have any more members as people won't stick around to be validated AND it seems that this validation would be influenced by where people come from as well. Don't ask me for quotes but I am under the impression that whenever someone isn't from the isle he's eyed more critical than others. You do seem to be a very closed group of a certain kind. It just may be because I don't understand your way of humor but I don't think that it's just this.

I am not referring to myself or Clerictgm but other instances where people not from England are getting criticism where there's nothing really to criticize.

Not really, it worked simply by members voting if they saw a post which seemed to be of good quality ie. well written, good spelling, no text talk, and not just random crap written just to fill a preset minimum post count. There have been a lot of members on here from all over the world so there is no prejudice involved whatsoever and it obviously worked as we are all here. I think it may have taken myself a good few days before I got promoted but I stuck it out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

JT moving to America to live in a trailer.

This old thing is still going strong!

With regards to the validation system, there is no right answer. TF has gone though many different states since I joined in 2004. I joined when It was on the rise. People were rapidly discovering trials and bikes we becoming more and more affordable and not just MTB/BMX mockups. We were all discovering new parts and ways to fix things. Many riders sought out a place and this was it.

Now that's not the case. I've said it before, Tartybikes has made trials so much more accessible in the UK, for parts and knowledge it made the forum a little redundant. Not a bad thing really but I feel that was a major factor in new members signing up and joining the community.

So now that TF is way past its peak looking back at any form of the old validation system isn't going to work. Personally I feel that the effort to put a new system in place would be too much for the small positive effect it would have. Especially since the people who would have to do that probably don't have the time.

As for the SM system, I always though from day 1 that was a joke, and have said so on many occasions. It's a massive shame it never evolved with the rest of the forum. We currently don't have a single SM that joined the forum after 2005, meaning no new ones in 10 years. Maybe doing something with that along the way may have helped keep some frequency posters around longer... who knows.

I don't think TartyBikes would really stop people from joining here - even if it did, any impact would be negligible compared to the effects of social media. When I joined here it was to find riders near by and chat to other riders in general, and Facebook fulfils that role for most younger people now. It's a way easier way to share comments, photos and videos, and with all social networking sites being super easy to use with mobiles (which is I'd imagine how most younger people would access the internet now) it's not too surprising that things are as they are.

• 2 weeks later...