Skate park Etiquette and unwritten rules?

Ross McArthur

I've never been a skatepark user, but I went with a colleague a few months back to one of the bigger ones in Bristol and I was instantly put off.

I found it to be common sense mostly - wait your turn, check that places are clear before going...

Instead, I was confronted by scooter twats just going wherever they like, skateboarders standing right in the way of important features and most amazingly there were children on little bikes with stabilisers and even parents walking their toddlers around. One minute there's a guy on a 24 throwing himself 7 foot across a set, then within a metre of him landing there's a two year old playing with an empty Fruit Shoot bottle.

I was amazed at just how chaotic it was. Put me off even moving from my spot, so I just watched for a bit then stuck the bike back in the car.

If it was just one or two people I'd have pulled them up on it, but 80% of the park seemed to have no idea.

• Like 1

General rules

- Keep you and your shit out of the way where-ever possible. Yes the box might be a great place to have a sit and put your bag down but seriously if you sit there I will intentionally make a use for the box ASAP.

- Respect people have different speeds and different lines - generally bikes will do x and skaters will do y so stay well clear.

- Try to do a line - yea you might want to just nail that box but seriously if you keep doing only 1 section of the park I'm not going to stop just because you feel like youve "shotgunned" a section

- Be UBER respectful to locals even if they are complete bellends - even if your shit they will start to give you a bit of space if you start going every day and let them go first. Lets be honest they will be halfway round the park by the time your at the bottom of the first ramp

- Yes you might want to smoke weed but the park is a place for all - parents - kids - grownups. If you want to do it don't hide but dont think your uber cool for sparking up in front of everyone.

- No snaking, line stealing butting etc. however if you are going twice as fast don't slam on your brakes either - just be generally aware and if you know you can cut in leaving loads of room do - dont cause traffic

- Dont be the id who cant fix his shit. Be the kid who can fix their shit.

most amazingly there were children on little bikes with stabilisers and even parents walking their toddlers around. One minute there's a guy on a 24 throwing himself 7 foot across a set, then within a metre of him landing there's a two year old playing with an empty Fruit Shoot bottle.

That's exacly the kind of shit i'm on about... Then It'll be any/everyone else's fault but the stupid parents when the kid gets ran into by someone coming off a big air or 360-fakie or similar - ie. they have no control cos air brakes dont exist.

seriously if you sit there I will intentionally make a use for the box ASAP.

Ditto. I've nicknamed this one 'pest control'. Faiing that just manual at em and play chicken - works a right treat!

Edited by CC12345678910