I love the way helmets are a fashion thing

lewis.jackson

1.In trials i love how we are using helmets as fashion and protection yet in vmx its not the thing to wear.

2.I see loads of boxers with gloves but no helmet and its just making kids think its ok to not wear one.

1. look at higher lever BMX riders. they do wear helmet for protection.

2. what?

I don't get the hate, if you want to wear a helmet then go for it, some people don't like to and it's their choice. There's about a million things in life that are bad for you or potentially harmful yet most of them never get a second thought. Show someone without a helmet andpeople lose their minds!

I must admit I do sometimes ride with my gloves in my pocket, I only wear them if my hands get sweaty otherwise I prefer the feel without them, I don't like taking bags on rides either so I just pop them in my pocket until I need them.

• Like 3

Fashions all about having gloves but having them sticking out of your back pocket instead of wearing them when you're riding. It's one of the few ways to ride trials in a way so that people think you're cool

On clapham common this is the sign you want your arse tickled. Before you ask, I just know

• Like 8

A lot of low or mid level bmxers are just posers, let's be honest. It's very important wearing the right hat, making sure your t shirt is 4 sizes too big, and your jeans are 4 sizes too small, there are bonus points for being very skinny and having tattoos, these tattoos must be visible at all times or they are worthless.

A helmet doesn't fit into this.

• Like 8

A lot of low or mid level bmxers are just posers, let's be honest. It's very important wearing the right hat, making sure your t shirt is 4 sizes too big, and your jeans are 4 sizes too small, there are bonus points for being very skinny and having tattoos, these tattoos must be visible at all times or they are worthless.

A helmet doesn't fit into this.

You forgot wearing the stupid beanie hat stuck on the back of their heads, when its 25 deg C plus outside

I don't need to follow something religiously to see what it looks like.

I know what your typical Emo looks like, doesn't mean I follow the scene. I don't ever follow comp trials, but I'm aware of lycra and Jitsie.

But when I do go to the odd skate park I see skinny people with all the above optional extras, don't blame me! I'll wait for you to post a pic of Mark Webb.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 2

Park riders are completely different to most other riders though. It's like saying that all trials riders wear Skinz, peakless Urge helmets and fancy coloured Ribos just because comp riders do.

It's not even fully accurate of park riders though in that they're all about the weirdly cut wife beaters anyway, not to mention most park riders who post online seem to be buzzing about going to the gym and shit because a lot of the top park riders do.

I'd also say skateparks tend to bring out the worst in people (and bring out the worst type of people in BMXing/skating), and that it's never really going to be particularly representative of the majority of riders. When you look at the amount of park-related bikes/frames/parts compared to street-related bikes/frames/parts, it's also pretty clear that park riders aren't even in the majority in any case.

I'm not trying to display vast BMX knowledge, because I don't really care about it, I'm simply taking some piss out of the ones that wear denim leggings, loose hats that fall off with every move, because that is 100% poser, which was my original point, there's nothing practical or useful about a hat falling off every ten seconds, it's purely to be a tart and fit in with everyone else doing it.

At least trials comp riders don't give a shit what they look like and they seem to do it for performance purposes. I have to admire that more than the kid who sits at the top of a ramp for 4 hours on his bmx wearing all the latest black clothes, again, my original point about lower and mid level riders.

At least trials comp riders don't give a shit what they look like and they seem to do it for performance purposes.

That isn't true at all. To give just a few examples: Yellow Ribos - one top rider starts wearing them, then they started flying out the door. Mis-matching glove colours - one top rider did it, now it's a 'thing'. Those "Boxing" shorts - one top rider started wearing them, then loads of people did. Urge helmets - they got given to a few top riders, now they're worn by loads of people. That's not even counting all the really shit parts that Try-All made that would instantly sell well simply because they said (or sometimes even didn't say) Try-All on it so comp riders lapped it up.

There are also aspects of bike setup too (not referring to bar angle).

EDIT: Just to clear anything up - I'm not saying this to have a go at you or anything, it's just boring seeing this carbon copy 'trials rider logic' come up time and again about 'the sport', 'helmets', other disciplines and so on. Trials is as guilty as any other discipline of a lot of the things complained about in others.

I know a lot of fads start in trials, mixing & matching colours is just following a crowd and makes no difference, like having Monster Energy stickers everywhere, and there's no need to make shoes bright yellow other than to stand out, at the price of looking a tit, but if they're really grippy and supportive shoes, then something positive has happened, and if that helps out some top comp riders then good. I'm not sure what loose hats and xxxl t shirts on a 10 stone boy ever achieved.

Like I said, this is not a serious debate to me, I'm just mocking generic park rats choosing a beanie in summer over a helmet. Or a protective snapback for a flair.

I was the worst for never wearing a helmet, but I've been very lucky, so I can look back in comfort and call myself a tit.

• Like 1

At least trials comp riders don't give a shit what they look like...

I know a lot of fads start in trials, mixing & matching colours is just following a crowd and makes no difference...

That was kind of the exact point I was making though. You said they didn't give a shit about how they looked, I was pointing out that they did/do. From what I know of the people who bought the yellow Ribos from us, most already wore trials-specific shoes of one kind or another (as it seems most comp riders wear). It doesn't really seem like an entire batch of yellow shoes selling out significantly faster than that model of shoe had in other colours was just because all those people suddenly needed to buy new shoes, especially bearing in mind that particular type of rider tended to instantly buy a lot of other stuff that just happened to be used by a well-known rider or two.

EDIT: If anything, due to more restrictive comp entry rules and skatepark rules, I'd say more park riders tend to wear helmets now than not. There are even 'fashionable' helmets to wear (e.g. the full-cut style helmet, like the TSG Dawn).

I meant they don't care about looking stupid, I mean come one, lycra suit under P.E shorts and a T shirt, bright yellow shoes and a few Jitsie items, that takes balls! In public (which does happen) that is just a different story.

That's something I like about street trials, there's no stereotypical look, every type of person does it and that doesn't look like that will ever change, this is good.