Rim contamination

Herbertlemon102

I've got a slight issue. My rim is contaminated, and I can't figure out how to de-contaminate it. I first cleaned it (brush, water etc) and it worked fine for 10 minutes, then the preformance dropped off, pads stopsaking noise and holding it biting. Removed them, and they had turned black on the face. I then used swarfeger (I think that's how it's spelt) and brush on the rim, cleaned the pads and that worked for a good 2 hours, then dropped off again. I then used a degreaser on the rim, and a lot of dirt came off but after another hour or so it dropped off again. I tried it again and it lasted about 5 minutes before dropping off. The rim has a light grind, and the pads are heatsink yellows. Any ideas? I'm sure there's something obvious I should know but I'm a dumb twit, what can I say?

Edited by Herbertlemon102

Another grind was my next idea, cheers I was also wondering if there's some other sort of trick too which doesn't require grinding?

Did you try a clean wire brush?

As my mate was forever doing the sand pads n regrind thing till until only recently discovering a steel brush like this jobby has 99% the same effect.

Try it. If it don't work you'd be regrinding ur rim anyhow.

Edited by CC12345678910

Hot water with fairy liquid in it, pour it on rim, scrub if needed and hose off.

Grind pads down half a mil with a grinder when in a vice.

ACE! I use hot water with fairy in it whenever I have to take my tyre off at home

• Like 1

Cheeky update- tries the dairy liquid technique, worked perfectly well for 10 min 11 sec (I timed it as it's become a habit...) but there was nothing wrong with the technique. I'll try the methylated sprit, thanks. Just trying everything before I grind it as it's interesting to see.