Reasons for tube to explode

Clerictgm mk2

Strange shit happens yesterday.

I had some "cheng shin 24x2'35 made in taiwan" tube in front wheel for ~year+.

And yesterday, my tyre patch failed and I saw some ~1cm tube hernia on my front wheel.

After that I've decided to throw this holyshit roller in trash bin and replace with brand new one. All was Okay till the moment of pumping up the wheel:

2.1atm...2.2atm...2.3atm...detaching the valve... EXPLOSION MUFUKA!

f7c957c4d97bbc13854e1b4e9ca67ca7.jpg

Wheel popped out in air from dropouts, . I've had a little contusion (I was in the stairwell with awesome acoustic).

For next 10 minutes I examined my rim and didn't find a single problem. Rim is absolutely ideal.

WTF it was? Just shitty tube? I'm afraid to imagine what if this happens on huge drop on speed.

Hernia has absolutely no relation to this explosion. Tube exploded by the seam. Also there was nothing foreign like trash or something in tyre.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2
  • Like 1

I genuinely wish Maxxis would change their tyre names to "MAXXIS HOLYSHIT"

I agree on the tyre bead, If you check that none of the bead is poking through also.

Schwalbe tubes are thinner but I found them to be longer lasting than any other tube money can buy, I don't know if because they are slightly thinner and fold with the tyre better.

Tubes just get old, especially the cheaper ones. They seem to do this after a while with higher-than-trials pressures.

I run about 40psi (2.75 bar, assuming that's what "atm" is) and this happens every so often.

Do you have drilled rims?

I wonder if it's the amount of extra stretch the tube goes through where it pokes through the rim a bit - it's never happened on my MTB.

When the rubber degrades a bit maybe it just can't be bothered withholding all that pressure any more :P