derailleur questions

ogre

Whats the difference between long and short cages? I presume its in relation to having multiple front chainrings.

can I have a clutch style derailleur on a 9 speed set up? I cant afford to go 10 speed. But my standard derailleur is a rattly b*****d. Will the pull ratio be all toss and affect shifts?

Cheers tf

Long vs short is effected by rear cassette range as well rather than just multiple front rings.

Basically no- no one (that I know of) make a clutch type derailleur for 9 speed set ups. I recently had to change to a 10 speed setup to use a Shadow+ SLX mech. So yeah, I think really you'll need shifter, mech, chain and cassette if you want to go to a clutch.

Do it Matt, it's well worth the money and doesn't necessarily have to cost much. I got a 2nd hand XT shadow mech for £25, barely used XT cassette for £20 and a 2nd hand SLX shifter for £15. You should be able to sell on a couple of your standard bits to go towards the cost!

• Like 1

Basically no- no one (that I know of) make a clutch type derailleur for 9 speed set ups. I recently had to change to a 10 speed setup to use a Shadow+ SLX mech. So yeah, I think really you'll need shifter, mech, chain and cassette if you want to go to a clutch.

Currently running a saint 10speed mech with clutch, on a 9 speed cassette with a sram x-0 9 speed shifter. So yes, super easy to do without having to replace everything. I didn't even need a spacer on the cable clamp like some people have, just attached it with a new cable and good to go. Been fine for quite a while now.

Also, go for a clutch. Best little things that have happened since hydro brakes :D

• Like 1

i've bought a go pro instead, i was hoping i could just get a derailleur and get a spacer up.

Does it have to be the x-0 9 or any 9 speed sram shifter? is this one ok?

if i buy the sram shifter can i choose between sram and shimano derailleurs?

i'm saving links for next pay day... would this one or this one be fine with the sram shifter.

Edited by ogre