GEAR RATIOS & STEMS

Matt1973

OK - firstly my apologies for yet another dumb newbie question (or two)....

Recently bought a very tidy Phase 1.2 and am looking to convert to single speed. For know I'm sticking with the O/E cranks running a 22t chain ring. My question here is what size am I best running on the back end? Trash Zen suggest a 19t. I can mess around with the cassette for know and find my own 'zen' :giggle: but am just keen to hear about anybody elses experience.

Also, the steerer has been trimmed down to it lowest possible length leaving me with no option to add a spacer, and the lean is starting to get really uncomfortable. So, I'm thinking of a longer and/or taller stem. Again, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I believe the Phase has a +5mm BB, but not sure what other factors to consider (I'm 6ft if that's relevant).

Guys, please try and refrain from knocking my choice of bike, I appreciate many people seem to think its pretty cr*p, but I got it for a real good deal, it's what I could afford and I'm loving riding it :dance:

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

I won't knock it, I always recommend a Phase for learners wnating a 26" as the geometry is pretty neutral and it's a good base to upgrade from over time.

In terms of gear ratio I personally would go for an 18t sprocket on the back, that would make the ratio just slightly heavier than most stock riders run (standard stock ratio of 18-15 is 1.2, 22-18 is 1.22 whereas 22-19 is 1.15 which is quite a jump).

As for the stem I'm not 100% sure what the standard setup is (assuming that is what you currently have) but I'd recommend starting with a new set of riser bars first like some Trialtech high rise. The last time I rode a Phase the standard bar and stem wasn't very comfortable so even with a new stem the bars may still feel a bit poor.