Chain stretch

peggysue

Seems I'm buying a new chain every month as my chain keeps stretching beyond the limit of my snail cam adjustment.

I use mainly kmc chains 1/8th size, had gusset tank chains, and even the huge 3/16th bmx chains. Same happens regardless. After about one month or ten rides it's chain change time again . I can o ly put this down to me being over 18 stone and putting some serious pressure through them. Unless anyone here can give me a reason?

Yep tried kmc910 got a new spare one too, just do the same as any other chain.

I wouldn't risk taking a link out, if I have already stretched it that far then it's going to be weaker anyway and taking a link out is o ly going to repeat the stretch process with the likelihood of snapping 2x as fast

I'd check that measurement if you can, a pair of chain links is an inch (25.4mm) and you'll probably have about 35 pairs in your chain, so 3% stretch would move the wheel back ~13mm and completely out the back of the dropouts...

It sounds like it's just the chain bedding in and you need some larger cams, but I may well be wrong :)

• Like 1

That's what I'm having the issue with, the stretch gets so bad in just one month that it goes beyond the cams and pretty much hangs towards the end of the frame. I have rockman cam on drive side because it's heavily notched and doesn't move, and a try all micro notch on non drive for easy wheel alignment. I don't think any snail cam has enough adjustment for extreme chain stretch. Either I should be looking at stronger chains, if anything exists over the kmc k910s I use or just get meaner with my diet and lose some weight haha