Rowlly's noobie mtb questions thread

Rowlly21

Hi there

Just bought myself a MTB, been out on a short ride and found that my seat was way to hard !!

Now is it a case of going to a shop and trying out different seats or can you guys point me to a decent one ??

I will be used for Xc

Total newbie to MTB

Edited by Rowlly21

General consensus I find is that Charge Spoon saddles are the way to go though like you I haven't really ridden much MTB so can only go off other peoples opinion. Personally I have a Superstar Peak saddle on my Santa Cruz and I love it, done very well for me so far!

If you are totally new to MTB (I suppose you don't ride a road bike either) it might be the case that there is nothing wrong with your seat, but the fact you are not used to be on one for a period of time. it is more important the shape of the saddle than how soft it is. As with most things, there is no saddle that suits everyone. I would ride your bike as it is for a while before investing in a new saddle, you may find the pain goes after a few rides.

SDG Bel Air RL ti for me at the moment, super comfy and 10 years old now, but when it finally wears out I will probably get a spoon. Are you wearing proper padded shorts?

Nope just normal shorts, do they make a huge difference ?

If you are totally new to MTB (I suppose you don't ride a road bike either) it might be the case that there is nothing wrong with your seat, but the fact you are not used to be on one for a period of time. it is more important the shape of the saddle than how soft it is. As with most things, there is no saddle that suits everyone. I would ride your bike as it is for a while before investing in a new saddle, you may find the pain goes after a few rides.

Will try this cheers, but only been doing 30-45 minute rides and my arse is killing by the end haha

Nope just normal shorts, do they make a huge difference ?

Will try this cheers, but only been doing 30-45 minute rides and my arse is killing by the end haha

Absolutely, it stops the chafing and adds a good layer of padding in the right place. I use endura humvee 3/4s and find them exceptionally comfortable, they have a clip in liner so you can wear them as normal shorts as well. Not hugely cheap at around the 40-50 quid mark but imho well worth it and the endura kit is always well made.

If I haven't been out on the bike for a long while I can expect my seat bones to be a bit tender and bruised for a day or two after the first initial ride back on it but subsequent ones I can ride all day long with zero discomfort.

Initially you would probably do as well to just get some cheapy padded shorts from halford/decathlon and just wear them under your normal shorts. Depending on how you get on with comfort/wear you can always pick up something more expensive later on.

The endura ones are cut specifically to fit when cycling so they have formed bent knees, seams in the right places so they don't chafe and vents in the places you need them; they also wick sweat away, don't get heavy when wet and dry very quickly.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-hummvee-3-4-baggy-inc-liner/rp-prod9356

On reading the reviews, the belt is a little on the weak side (it's not going to hold a gut in) but I find it's more than adequate as long as you have the right size shorts and make sure the strain is equally bourne between the belt and press stud. I'm a 31-32" waist and the medium fits me well.

Edited by forteh