It's 2014. What are the best damn disk brakes?

dave_VD

Hi guys,

I've been out of the game for a while and only just got back into trials. The last time I rode properly, BB7's had just come in and were making waves as the front brake of choice. I got one and it was kind of mind-blowing.

But, that was years ago.

Now I'm looking to switch to disks front and rear. I'm too old to be falling off because of brake slippage, and I'm too old to endure the sound of a grind and a HS33, so... what's the best damn disk brakes you can get these days? And what size rotor / lever / pads combo etc?

This would be on a 24".

Appreciate any help.

Cheers!

The m810's are like gold dust these days I would just go out and buy a brand new saint m820 with ice tech rotor, I personally run the Aztak pads that Tarty and other stores sell and I find them faultless for feathering the brake in move's while keeping their amazing bite and hold. If you do buy an adaptor for the brake get a Hope one too it will cut down adaptor flex. The saint's work well enough for you to be able to run a 180mm rotor and have amazing stopping power so I wouldn't worry about jumping upto 203mm.

• Like 1

That's not true, especially on the rear, if you weigh 10 stone you might get away with it for most stuff, but I weigh 14.5 stone and there are bigger heavier riders than me, my Saint is amazing with a 203 rotor, but I will never trust it on big gap drops like I would a HS33.

So no, a 203 is not overkill for everyone, would you rather have too much power or not enough?

Edited by LEON

That's not true, especially on the rear, if you weigh 10 stone you might get away with it for most stuff, but I weigh 14.5 stone and there are bigger heavier riders than me, my Saint is amazing with a 203 rotor, but I will never trust it on big gap drops like I would a HS33.

So no, a 203 is not overkill for everyone, would you rather have too much power or not enough?

Cheers Leon, good to see you're still riding! I'm a heavy dude at the moment so will go with 200/203.

Because of the m810's being like gold dust, if you had to go with something else, would you recommend the m820's, or the zee's, or the Hope Trial Zone, or a bb7 on the back?

Edited by dave_VD
  • Like 1

The m810's are like gold dust these days I would just go out and buy a brand new saint m820 with ice tech rotor, I personally run the Aztak pads that Tarty and other stores sell and I find them faultless for feathering the brake in move's while keeping their amazing bite and hold. If you do buy an adaptor for the brake get a Hope one too it will cut down adaptor flex. The saint's work well enough for you to be able to run a 180mm rotor and have amazing stopping power so I wouldn't worry about jumping upto 203mm.

How can you advice this shit, mr. Dick? There are no saints except of m810.

How can you advice this shit, mr. Dick? There are no saints except of m810.

Calm down. Just because my Zee caliper (1:1 to the Saint 820) broke (and that of some other guys) doesn't mean that the brake is any worse than the 810. In the beginning I suspected this but as I have seen some broken 810 calipers as well now* I'd tend to say that the 640/820 caliper is just as strong (or weak) as the 810 one. So if it works for Leon and Ali, I had bad luck.

As for braking power, you can't really say anything as you haven't ridden neither on a trials bike. You've just invested a truckload of money into Hopes w/o even bothering to get som 810levers and pair them to 810 or 640/820 calipers.

*probably because I came into the Trials business way after the 810 and have concentrated on the 640/820

Edited by niconj

So m820 levers are worse than m810? I maybe buy some new m820 and try it, how necessarily it is to use exactly m810 lever?

>truckload of money

Lol no. It's not much, just a one day income. I'm not investing in my bike usually if it just works, but as far as I can't ride untill next season I decided to build the best of the best bike in my vision.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

So m820 levers are worse than m810? I maybe buy some new m820 and try it, how necessarily it is to use exactly m810 lever?

It's not necessary. You can use pretty much any Servo Wave lever with any the 820/640 caliper. The 810 lever just feels better. From what I've read on the XC forum, the newer style lever is supposed to have a better hydraulic advantage and should therefore make a stronger brake but that's just hypothetical thinking.

Blah

Blah

Blah

Blah

Ignore all this bollocks! Like Paperclip says, make life easy and go for an M820 with Aztec pads and an Icetech rotor or if you go for Hope then any of the trial brakes (the Tech levers are best in my opinion) with a standard Mono Trial rotor and Jitsie pads.

Some people on TF said that TrialZone is worse than BB7. And TrialZone is nothing but a V2 Race. I think I've already found best brake for me: Tech 3 V4, only need to find good rotors for them. And also I'll try saints to get what's so GODDEST OMFG DIVINE LETS CREATE A SAINTS CULT in them.

Some people on TF said that TrialZone is worse than BB7. And TrialZone is nothing but a V2 Race. I think I've already found best brake for me: Tech 3 V4, only need to find good rotors for them. And also I'll try saints to get what's so GODDEST OMFG DIVINE LETS CREATE A SAINTS CULT in them.

at this point I don't think anyone mature enough gives a shit about what you say.
  • Like 1

at this point I don't think anyone mature enough gives a shit about what you say.

Let me just remind all forum users that if you click your username at the top of the page there is a link entitled "Manage Ignore Prefs" which some of you may really enjoy making use of....

• Like 4

Because unlike you I ride at a higher level, I also weigh more than Leon. Yet my brake is flawless.

But you didn't tryed hope V4 Tech 3. So what to argue about?

Also the fact you riding better than me doesn't overlap the fact your riding is not so abusive to brakes. Not a single BH gap to rear or huge dropgap.

Let's end this stupid kiddish arguing.

I by myself will buy and try all this fu├<ing brakes.

Why are you riding with rear brake only? How it feels compared to both brakes on riding?

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

Let me just remind all forum users that if you click your username at the top of the page there is a link entitled "Manage Ignore Prefs" which some of you may really enjoy making use of...

Cheers dave, this is GREAT news to my ears.

Edited by ben_travis

But you didn't tryed hope V4 Tech 3. So what to argue about?

Also the fact you riding better than me doesn't overlap the fact your riding is not so abusive to brakes. Not a single BH gap to rear or huge dropgap.

Let's end this stupid kiddish arguing.

I by myself will buy and try all this fu☾├<ing brakes.

Why are you riding with rear brake only? How it feels compared to both brakes on riding?

Nice edit:

I have tried out MT2 brake to find out their calipers snap, Hope tech3 trialzone (a pair of them on my bike) to find their stopping power to lack compared to the saints. I have also had m810/m820 levers on my bike and also m810/20 calipers too. I even tried a bb7 late last year.

So you are not the only person to try all these brakes out. After riding with Ali who has tried your brakes out and seeing Mark who is running your brakes both complaining about them and riding at a decent level I don't plan on ever trying a hope 4pot caliper. (Just note that I live 10 min's away from the Hope factory and if they was good enough do you not think I would be running them?)

Also my choice of running only a rear only has what to do with this thread? Must really suck to see...... try it :)

Edited by Paperclip