Hiplok, Anyone Tried/Got One?

isitafox

I'm thinking of picking up a cheap lock I can take with me when I ride with the kids to school and this looks like being a good option for me but I wondered if anyone had one or had used one before?

Baring in mind I live in a bigish village where there is very little crime but I still absolutely refuse to leave my bike outside anywhere without protection and would always leave it in full view of the public where possible. At the most it'll get used whilst I run into school/post office/butchers/Morrisons (would chain it directly opposite the door in a small sheltered porch type bit) but I don't want to have to have a big D lock swinging aout the place whilst I ride!

I kind of get it, but it seems like it's solving a problem that isn't that much a problem. I prefer the twirly cable ones because you can get both wheels, frame, saddle and a helmet locked with those with a long one. Plus they're easy enough to wrap round the bars or whatever.

But for D lock people, why not just get a beefy one and use a frame mount?

Yeah but the twirly cable ones are a complete waste of time and can be cut through with a pair of pliers, I want something relatively substantial that I don't have to have rattling about the frame and will be out the way. Not sure if a frame mounted dlock will fit in my santa cruz either.

I normally use a beefier chain one as well, that's pretty good wrapping round the bars a few times.

The think with the Hiplock is it doesn't look like it's that secure anyway. A lot of d locks aren't that much harder to brake with better tools so it gets to the point that if someone who knows what they're doing wants your bike, they're going to get your bikes.

Just found a video of a guy testing bike locks and stuff testing various chains and D-locks. He had the older Hiplok without the hardened shackle on the padlock and it took him 30 seconds to cut through with a pair of 3' bolt croppers so I reckon the v1.50 with the 10mm hardened shackle will do the job for me. Doubt there'll be many people knocking about our village with a pair of them stuffed down their pants!

EDIT: Vid is in here, 2 minutes 5 seconds in http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/smash-lab-bike-locks-broken

• Like 1

ever heard of a backpack? pop a standard D lock in there and jobs a goodun

Yeah I thought that... Was gonna say that but then realized if he's gone to the extent of looking for something like this then I'm sure he definitely doesn't want to use a backpack haha.

but whats wrong with a backpack?

Nothing if your going to use it, such as to pick up some shopping.

If I just want to pop to the bank to put some money in then I don't want to take a backpack with me just the the D lock. Much better just having it on your belt and been free of a backpack.

Maybe I need a comfier backpack!

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived this morning and first impressions are that it is a lot more substantial than the pictures would suggest. Can't wait to test it out properly!

How are you going to do that? Park your bike outside a few rough estates haha

On a serious note..

I refuse to leave my bike outside a shop without someone I know there, chained up or not. All people really need is a set of allen keys and pretty much the whole bikes gone :'(

How are you going to do that? Park your bike outside a few rough estates haha

On a serious note..

I refuse to leave my bike outside a shop without someone I know there, chained up or not. All people really need is a set of allen keys and pretty much the whole bikes gone :'(

Lol good point! Should have said I can't wait to have a ride with it to see how it feels!