How f**ked am I? 3 speeding letters within a week...

weirdoku

Soooo I got 3 letters for speeding, first for the 7th, second and third for the 12th but 10 mins apart. All 3 says 'manned equipment'. I ride a 125cc ped on a CBT, provisional license.

For the 7th one I was on my way to work by the time on the letter. There's no cameras on that section of the road either. Most likely I was over the speed limit as I was going to work and it was down a hill... I can accept that one.

The two on the 12th, at 14:26 and 14:36 I'm pretty certain I was going to get some food at a shop. On that road stated on the letter, which is a bridge there's a camera before and after, lets call them A and B.

For the 14:26 one I must have been going towards this shop towards camera A, which is facing me. I'm certain I was doing under 30 going towards camera A, I always check. I'm also certain there was no camera vans parked on the side as it's a pavement which would have blocking the pavement. No camera van in the middle as I would have seen it even if it was an unmarked vehicle of some sort, its an awkward place that no one ever parks. No way was I doing 36mph towards B either as it's 90 degree left turn to this shop so no way would I have made that corner at that speed on a ped. Also camera B is after this corner facing away from me.

I've been on this route for over the past 2 years to and from work on my ped and never got anything, then suddenly 3 letters for speeding within 5 days.

All 3 I was within speed limits (35-42mph) of this Speed Awareness Course.

Now, the first letter I got I already sent off and ticked the box to be considered for this Speed Awareness Course. £90 a go. What about the other two I got today? Another 2 courses? Points and a fine times two? License taken away from me?

Any help appreciated, but FML right now.

you must be able to see proof of what youve done wrong to explain it before you go to court right? i dunno if it is but it seems like illegal blackmail saying the only way you can see is by going to court... am i right? im young ish + dunno much about law but even from me that seems like bollocks man!

If the second and third are 10 mins apart, can they proove you slowed down in between? Because if not then it's a single offence, and you can only be punished once for it.

I have a feeling these two are on the way to the shop and after the shop, I go the same road there and back.

Also if it's static cameras, why does it say 'manned equipment' in the letters?

That's what I don't get, pretty sure it's not the cameras that got me. Fairly certain it wasn't someone at the side of the road or an unmarked vehicle parked on. Maybe someone following me there and back?

Are the letters all official notifications from the local police force? Note for the cameras that your ped obviously only has a plate on the back (and also that flashy Gatso cameras don't get you if you're going towards them but Truvelos do (but couldn't catch your numberplate))...

Edit: Should also point out that for mobile van type traps they should have signs indicating their presence prior to the location. Not all forces seem to do that though.

Letters are all from Hampshire Constabulary, has the badge on the top left corner but looks like anyone could have printed this thing off.

This is the only camera on that route, I was facing it on the way to the shop. But I'm pretty sure it's just for the left hand side of the road.

Starting to think some sneaky cock was holding a speed gun hiding further on after this camera. The camera van has always parked in front of this camera and I would have seen it.

truvelo.jpg

Edited by weirdoku

Visit www.forums.pepipoo.com. Write exactly what you have here, and you will get advice from people who know what they are talking about (police, lawyers, solicitors etc).

Be careful of "man in the pub" advice, or you might get yourself in more trouble. Ask for "pictures to help identify the driver", do NOT mention "proof", or "evidence". Don't bother asking for camera calibration certificates either, that is an old loop hole that was shut years ago. Also, signs warning of a camera are not required by law at all.

The first offence will be a speed awareness course, then it is either 2x 3 points, or 1 continous offence if you can convince them you didn't slow down in between (unlikely, as you admit going to the shop).

I am a very frequent user of pepipoo, and have gained quite a lot of knowledge from it. People often trying to "get off", often land themselves in a whole deal more bother.

• Like 1

About a year ago.. i got caught speeding, 63 through a 30.. heard absolutely nothing about it :D

I also ride a 125, on CBT... well, 170cc big bore kitted. but shhhh :D

Typical ride to the petrol station one day.. clear, straight road..

So on the way back.. i thought it give it some...

hit 63mph.. and what was infront of me.. (that wasnt there 10 minutes before hand)

A bloody cop car, with a ploddy holding a speed gun, and a sign a few meters up, that displayed drivers clocked speeds..

Next thing i know.. the sign flashed up 63...

I didnt bother slowing down.. No point..

Still not heard a thing about it.. to this day....

The police around here are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike :)

A little while before that.. My sister had missed the last train home from college, and it was raining..

So i went to pick her up.. (its about 10 mins ride away)..

No spare helmet for her.. but she couldnt walk it in that weather..

Next minute.. Blues and Too's..

the copper said to me.. "i know your on CBT provisional, i just checked your number plate.... 1. you have no L plates displayed, and 2, your riding a pillion AND she has no helmet on!

i replied. 1.. i never display L plates.. they look stupid... and 2. I know this.. im the one who is carrying her..

so the copper replies.... "ok sir.. well i dont really care to be honest.. just make sure she has a helmet on next time"... then let me continue my journey with her on the back with no helmet :dance:

if your wondering what bike i have... Its a custom build.. by me :D

IMG_20140913_180429923_zps4ebca206.jpg

and yes.. the exhaust is LOUD :D

• Like 1

Petrolhead - the speed gun would detect your speed, but as you have no numberplate on the front it wouldn't have been seen. Bragging about doing 63 in a 30 is also retarded.

Letting someone ride on the back without a helmet is even more retarded.

Perhaps it impresses 18 year olds at college, but a lot of us here are older, wiser and have lost friends due to accidents on the roads, so save that kind of shit for the track.

EDIT: Just spotted that it was your sister on the back AND it was raining - even more retard points, congratulations.

Edited by MadManMike

Petrolhead - the speed gun would detect your speed, but as you have no numberplate on the front it wouldn't have been seen. Bragging about doing 63 in a 30 is also retarded.

Letting someone ride on the back without a helmet is even more retarded.

Perhaps it impresses 18 year olds at college, but a lot of us here are older, wiser and have lost friends due to accidents on the roads, so save that kind of shit for the track.

EDIT: Just spotted that it was your sister on the back AND it was raining - even more retard points, congratulations.

None of the stuff he's done is acceptable on the track either. :P Double the recommended speed and carrying a pillion with no helmet wouldn't go down well! Besides, it's not that big or clever. I know a lad who had a drag race through the center of a large city with his older brother and their Dad from a set of traffic lights up to 70+mph in a 30 limit, but none of them were stupid enough to A: do it where there could be a risk to other people (the copper being there normally shows it's a high risk area), B: do it somewhere where a copper might be watching, and C: brag about it on the internet. :lol:

Anyway, behaving like that on the road is the reason that many grumpy, middle aged drivers see someone on a bike and think "typical biker knobhead, I'm going to attempt to murder him now with my car". So you're basically murdering your fellow motorcyclists, cheers for that.

EDIT: I realise that my story above posted with my current signature suggests I was talking about me and my brother, but I wasn't.

Edited by Muel

Yeah i kow it was stupid..

this was over a year ago anyway.. Since then, ive been involved in accidents.. which have made me realise the true dangers, and now i ride sensibly..

I was just trying to say a point.. that i was caught speeding.. and nothing happened.. thats all..

To be honest.. My bike barely gets ridden much anyway, only on nice days.. and my misus has a car..

And the bike.... its actually not a kymco Hipster.. its a kymco zing...

and definately not standard..

Chopped frame, different style fender, different engine, different handlebars etc..

Yes its got alot of kymco parts still on it.. But i only did this about 7 months ago.. More to come..

Its not standard, so therefor.. its customised.. = custom..

its exactly how i like it anyway :D thats all that matters i guess.. :)