Spoke tensioners

Herbertlemon102

The highly eccentric nature of my echo sl was starting to get on my nerves, it would be over tensioned at one point and no tension at another. So, following some simple instructions, I made a spoke tensioner. As I dont have snail can bolt holes, I put the end if the spoke through the hole in the chainstay to the top right if the axle bolt. Works a treat. Makes a noise like a dying seal, but I dont mind that. Anyone found a more effective style if spoke tensioner? I'm interested to try out different ways of spoke tensioning , if there are any.

post-37174-0-02613800-1414687274_thumb.j

I wouldn't bother in a tensioner. You're taking away the benefits of having horizontal dropouts with a built in tensioner. If your chain has a tight spot then get to the route of that problem and sort that out. Maybe you should try a different RH crank arm on to see if that solves the problem, maybe borrow someone else's while you see if that fixes it.

I know the problem, it's my freewheel not being centered, as in the outer cog of the freewheel doesnt spin true to the center. It's a common problem, ericbenjaminr had the same problem Wiith the same freewheel, and I said exactly what you just said to him when he put a tensioner on. But in the end, I'm not replacing a perfectly good functioning freewheel, just bend a spoke to shape and the problem is solved.

I wouldn't bother in a tensioner. You're taking away the benefits of having horizontal dropouts with a built in tensioner. If your chain has a tight spot then get to the route of that problem and sort that out. Maybe you should try a different RH crank arm on to see if that solves the problem, maybe borrow someone else's while you see if that fixes it.

Edited by Herbertlemon102