Sprocket removal+crown race removal+Freewheel instal

HippY

Hey guys

I am just wondering if there is any way to

Remove a screw on sprocket from a hub with a chain whip and no vice

Remove the crown race from the fork (I am not sure if i want to do it, you will see)

Installing the freewheel on a crank

The reason why I ask because if I will not be able to make them I must take them to my local bike shop, and to be honest, last time he tried to take off my freewheel with a hammer and a screwdriver....

Removing the crownrace should be fine with hum I guess, as it is nothing special, he already installed freewheel for me so that is good, but I am not sure about the screw on sprocket.

Hey guys

I am just wondering if there is any way to

Remove a screw on sprocket from a hub with a chain whip and no vice

Remove the crown race from the fork (I am not sure if i want to do it, you will see)

Installing the freewheel on a crank

The reason why I ask because if I will not be able to make them I must take them to my local bike shop, and to be honest, last time he tried to take off my freewheel with a hammer and a screwdriver....

Removing the crownrace should be fine with hum I guess, as it is nothing special, he already installed freewheel for me so that is good, but I am not sure about the screw on sprocket.

A bike shop w/o a vice?

they *should* have but I do not

I you don't need the sprocket anymore, you could Dremel it off. I don't think you'll get enough force to screw it off with a chain whip.

About the crown race. Just take a thin knife and a hammer. Put the blade in between the fork and the crown race and go all around the fork slightly hammering on the back of the blade. I do this with carbon forks to not damage the seat of the crown race.

I you don't need the sprocket anymore, you could Dremel it off. I don't think you'll get enough force to screw it off with a chain whip.

About the crown race. Just take a thin knife and a hammer. Put the blade in between the fork and the crown race and go all around the fork slightly hammering on the back of the blade. I do this with carbon forks to not damage the seat of the crown race.

It started nicely then stopped... I will go to the local bike shop

do I need a special tool to tighten the sporcket and freewheel or it will tighten itself? (after hand and chainwhip tight

It started nicely then stopped... I will go to the local bike shop

Take a bigger knife and move it in there. Then you can use the knife as a lever going around the crown race. Just don't use the tip of the knife but the blade. You can lever it up (is this how it's called?) a bit and then go a bit further round.

Take a bigger knife and move it in there. Then you can use the knife as a lever going around the crown race. Just don't use the tip of the knife but the blade. You can lever it up (is this how it's called?) a bit and then go a bit further round.

knowing my mechanical skills I just take it to the bike shop, before I make a poo poo

its point is not to save money, more like do not brake anything :D

It'll tighten its self.

good to know, cheers!

I have an updated chainwhip at work for screw on sprockets.

It uses some of that bmx chain as big as moped chain and a very very long handle extended to just over 1 meter long, and a spring loaded bit on the end of the chain to hold it onto the cog so there's no slipage.

Works every time.

I have an updated chainwhip at work for screw on sprockets.

It uses some of that bmx chain as big as moped chain and a very very long handle extended to just over 1 meter long, and a spring loaded bit on the end of the chain to hold it onto the cog so there's no slipage.

Works every time.

Would you mind posting a picture?