Yet another headphone thread...

MadManMike

So I'm looking for headphones. Not earphones.

I don't want cheap ass JVC ones, nor do I want over priced Bose / Beats ones.

They will be used when riding / walking, so they can't be too big. My current pair are PMX100's by Sennheiser and they're pretty good, they were about £40 when I bought them - I'd like to stay around that budget, or less if possible without having crap sound quality.

Any suggestions?

Just got some AKG Y70s earlier this month, as they'd had rave reviews for the money. I can't fault them, but I haven't tried the PMX100s so I can't comment on the comparison. I'm a big fan of getting a 'flat' sound through headphones though, so that I can EQ as required, and these are definitely decent for the money.

Apologies for blatantly ignoring your first bit, but I had similar issues with ears that refuse to accept most in-ear headphones. However, I got a pair of the Sennheiser CX300ii headphones and have had no issues with them at all. They come with multiple sized silicon/rubbery tips to them that span quite a broad range of sizes so it's fairly easy to get a pair that fit. They seem to just have a slightly different shape to most others too so stay in place well.

Before I had them, I used some random shitters, some Sony ones, some Phillips ones and a few other branded ones but they all seemed to break pretty quickly. So far I've broken one pair of the Sennheisers in 7 years, and I use them at least once a day (I wear them if I'm in work doing stuff in the studio, when I'm doing stuff at home, when I'm using my laptop, when I ride, etc.). You can get them super cheap on eBay too so I'd say they were definitely worth a pop...

Apologies for blatantly ignoring your first bit, but I had similar issues with ears that refuse to accept most in-ear headphones. However, I got a pair of the Sennheiser CX300ii headphones and have had no issues with them at all.

With the CX300ii's having a cable that's longer on one side so you have to run it behind your neck is much better than riding with regular earphones, as you don't constantly rip them out.

I can't see how headphones would be any more likely to stay on than earphones though?

Edit: nothing there is relevant, my bad.

I've heard good things about the AKG K451 and Sony MDR-V55, but how suited to riding they are I don't know.

Edited by TrialsIsHard

I run them down inside my t-shirt so the cable pulling thing has never been an issue.

Yeah the CX300ii's are good, but I find in-ear ones lack punch. It's bad enough going from my studio HD25's down to PX100's.

I'll see if a shop can demo them for me, as I've not tried those since I worked in a hifi shop about 10 years ago.

I run them down inside my t-shirt so the cable pulling thing has never been an issue.

Yeah the CX300ii's are good, but I find in-ear ones lack punch. It's bad enough going from my studio HD25's down to PX100's.

I'll see if a shop can demo them for me, as I've not tried those since I worked in a hifi shop about 10 years ago.

Dunno about that fitment, but they will improve bass wise if you can find a firmer fit. I've also read them mentioned positively a few times before, but then at the low end range of the scale Sennheiser often do well. I would try and get some Sony's typically if you wanted more bass though, i got some kicking around i've never really used and they were freebies with an mp3 from years back, and tbf they good for what they are, until you hear vocals. Alternately get that EQ out :P

If you want to demo stuff, buy from Amazon, then use for a month and send back as 'unsatisfactory quality'. I did this with multiple times with on the head audio.

I think price has now gone up on them. They've been doing major AKG and Sennheiser discounts for a while, fluctuating in price through the weeks too. The 550s are tempting but i really don't need any more closed phones. I do wonder if Sennheiser are getting/ going to get some serious shit from the shops about amazon and their pricing.

I got white K452's - they're great for £24.99, really good quality and they feel like they'll stay on when I'm riding so that's cool.

Would I be pleased if I'd paid £80 for them? Not really.

Yeah, they're up to £55 or something now, so I definitely got them at the right time.