Mortgage Advice (Should I fix for 5 years?)

David

I've just gone for a 2 year fixed, gives me a bit of stability for a bit before I remortgage and shop around.

Shorter term also gave me a lower rate so I can afford to over pay, which should be beneficial come remortgage time.

Cliché, but its all swings and roundabouts.

Edited by craigjames
  • Like 1

As above we went for 5 year so we knew what we'd be paying for that period with no unknowns. Worked against us in the long run as we've been tied into a 5.29% rate for 4 years now with another to go but you roll the dice to takes you chances... Will probably be a bit less risk averse this time round but I'm also not up for paying £995 fees every couple of years to go to a new product!!

Edit: over 20 years repayment and we've been overpaying a bit on the way through to take that period down a touch.

• Like 1

I just went for 5 years.

More importantly than anything I know it ties my missis down for 5 years so she wont be hassassing me for a bigger place for 5 years.

On a more serious note - you can increase the value of your mortgage if you move with the same providor at the same rate and the get out is only like 3% house value or something.