How to: Pad rock removal.

Paperclip

So I often get asked which pads I feel are the best or how to remove pad rock.

I found that most aftermarket brake pads are in painted backings (usually to mark the material) this tends to make a pretty nasty noise if you do have slight rock.

Also you get people recommend that you sand the rear of the backing and for myself that never really helped in some cases it made the noise worse.

So your two issues usually would be: The loosely fitting pin sliding into the pads meaning your pads can move around slightly.

General pads moving/sliding ever so slight on the the pistons.

I found by cutting up a large plaster and sticking it to the rear of the two pads you avoid the pads moving on the pistons with the added grip and the pistons will dig into this really nicely.

I then use an offcut to stick onto the pin, You will find that you can only cover half of the pin for it to still slide into the caliper and pads.

post-22185-0-59109300-1418125832_thumb.j

post-22185-0-02083400-1418125838_thumb.j

post-22185-0-29002600-1418125843_thumb.j

Hope this help's some of you!

I found sanding the paint off the back of the pad backings 100% affective and much simpler :P

Cool to know an alternate way though!

Yeah obviously it's well worth trying and I'm not saying it's not going to work, that actually worked on my mt2 brake really well but on the saint I was still left with the noise after sanding and putting something on the pin. I know I am not the only rider who's had that noise on their saint's also. To try and describe that noise is like your brake mounts about to snap off!

I'd say this takes around the same time as sanding the backs off but would work every time for people, is tricky to peel the plasters off so I could see why for you it might not seem the best way :P

• Like 1

Insulating tape or cellotape is also pretty good for putting on the retention pin depending on the size of the hole in your pad backings.

Like Flipp I've found just sanding the finish off the back of the pads works every time. You might still get a little bit of noise as the pistons might need to bed in to the backings fully, but it should go away pretty quickly if you get any at all (I haven't - Luke, you're doing it wrong :P ).

"Also you get people recommend that you sand the rear of the backing and for myself that never really helped"

Might be pretty hard to read so I made it slightly bigger for y'all!

Obviously before trying out other ways I sanded the pads in the past I even said that it worked on my mt2 brake. However on the majority of brake pads (I haven't used the same pair of pads twice as they're never in stock at places) My pad's still seemed to slide and make that noise even after riding for hours. The above isn't any harder to do either.

• Like 1

Obviously the bit where I was clearly joking was hard to read too? There's no way that f**king around with a plaster is as easy as just sliding a pad around on a piece of sandpaper either :P I did it to a brand new set of Galfer pads a couple of days ago and they were done in seconds...

I tried this sanding method that works so well.

No change

Pad rock, noise, sounded like it was gonna snap clean off, didn't instill any confidence at all.

Hence the f**k all.

The sticky method though, worked wonders.

So forgive me if I don't take the word of a guy who rides brakeless.

Edited by pogo

The major factors that cause the noise isn't a little bit of paint, it's the diameter of the pin/bolt, caliper hole and pad hole the the width of the pad in relation to the caliper.

Using tape gives the pistons something to bite onto and acts as a damper for the back and forth movement.

Again, to summarise: Spend 20 seconds of your life sanding the backings down. Refit and try. Working? Great.

Not working? Try insulation tape or a plaster. Refit. Working? Great.

I agree with that, I made the thread and explained the way I found works the best because (on the saints it seems more often) the sanding isn't doing the job for people. Even after the tape on the pin and sanding the pads down the pads are still moving and quite noticeable even if you manage to sort out the noise. This method sorts the actually moving of the pads (hence the title).

The below comment is more the idea behind the thread.

Neat. I'm gonna give this a try as the pad rocking on my saints does my head in.