24 build

Scott Gibbs

I've got a 203mm on a deore on the front of my Marino, not an ice tech though and it's plenty powerful. A saint would be more so, id say yes. It's what all the top lads use, to my knowledge, cocky, Ali c, danny Mac, John Shrewsbury, Ian Johnstone to name a few

• 2 weeks later...

Would the rear disc mount be strong enough to take a 203mm rear disc? I'm thinking of running a set of Shiamano M395's until I can afford to get a set of Zee's/saints.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

No 185 max. I'd say an 8in is a guaranteed snap , seeing as the mount on my 4play in reinforced massively, is still only rated to 185mm by inspired, and is braced/gusseted for days, whereas that mount relies only on the strength of that plate the dropout is cut into and the join to the frame, MTB style. If it did go I'd put money on rotational force snapping the seatstay and chainstay about 2in forward (towards the BB) of the rotor top.

Oh and if you've got 4pot calipers with servo wave and ice techs, (which based on the performance of ice techs on other brake platforms I've ridden like a hope 4pot and BB7, IMO the ice tech is where 60+% of the power comes from) WTF do you need 8in rotors for?? U trying to stop a truck of something? I rate 8in rotors massively OTT personally, unless you're going and killing an alp or three, but your bike, do what you will.

Frame breaking aside, 8in rotors are not overkill at all, you can never have too much power in a disc, Maguras and Vees are different because you lose modulation making them sticky/powerful.

My 203 Saints work perfectly and are brilliant, but they'll never hold a drop gap like a HS33 will, especially to a rail, there are certain things I've done on a Magura that I just wouldn't with discs. Now and then they slip on stuff, more is more.

• Like 1

If you've got a longer, re-inforced tab then I think they're OK (haven't really heard of many/any frames with longer tabs like the ones on Echos/Czars/Adamants/Inspireds breaking), but that one's just some catalogue dropout so it's unlikely to deal with it as well.

What's the best way to remove anodising from aluminium parts?

I've always used this dry chemical you use for cleaning your sewers. Put it into a bowl or sth. some water into it and let it resolve. Then you put the part you want to de-anodize into the liquid for no more than 30 seconds, and rinse it off with clean water. Voila.

• Like 1