Onza Zoot disc mount

Aldred_85

Morning all,

Im currently running a 160mm disc on my zoot, generally the hold is reasonable but not totally confidence inspiring.

The rear disc mount was snapped when i bought the frame, i redrilled a hole in the meat left over.

Are the disc mounts on these frames strong enough for 180 disc, or would i be pushing my luck?

Would i be better off utilising the 4 bolt Magura mount?

Your opinions, stories, experiences are greatly appreciated.

post-53-0-91847200-1419405489_thumb.jpg

With an IS caliper (Hope) I don't think you'll be able to get around it. Even with a post mount & adaptor your front bolt is about 10mm lower than it should be so that'll need spacing up without spacing the rear. Can't see it working, and even if it did I don't think it'll last long. Deepest sympathies.

Many thanks for all replies. I have been running a 160 disc. Using a front 160 mount, then using v brake convex washers thick ones at top, small at bottom. Worked very well, just struggling with holding power of the 160mm.

You may just about be able to spot it on this prior picture.

post-53-0-85519600-1419428149_thumb.jpg

Could i try different pads maybe?

Yeah just from the picture it looks a poor setup. Sintered pads or Organic (personal preference) I would recommend swapping the rotor at the same time just to make doubly sure.

Might be worth you checking out something like this... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m675-disc-brake-rotor/rp-prod124961

Much nicer brake get some sintered or organic pads and a fresh rotor will be the world of difference.

I would stick to 160 on that mount, but just let it sink in that a better brake set up could finish off the job and rip the mount off again so I'd keep a close eye on it during rides :)

(If that is the frame I think it is I was riding with Jack when he ripped that mount off and we was in the worlds worst skate part (not even riding trials).

Yeah just from the picture it looks a poor setup. Sintered pads or Organic (personal preference) I would recommend swapping the rotor at the same time just to make doubly sure.

Might be worth you checking out something like this... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m675-disc-brake-rotor/rp-prod124961

Much nicer brake get some sintered or organic pads and a fresh rotor will be the world of difference.

I would stick to 160 on that mount, but just let it sink in that a better brake set up could finish off the job and rip the mount off again so I'd keep a close eye on it during rides :)

(If that is the frame I think it is I was riding with Jack when he ripped that mount off and we was in the worlds worst skate part (not even riding trials).

When you say poor setup, do you mean poor quality components or actual setup of the components?

Would Jack be Jack Meeks? That name does sound familiar when i heard of the frames previous owners.

I know that feeling too well, but I would keep an eye out for a frame that's more reliable so there's no nasty surprises that could be you snapping this cheap frame meaning new frame or worse still time off work.

I always use the time of work excuse to spend more cash on bikes, it always helps to make the missus think you riding cheap parts could cause injurys and cost more in the long run.