xtr cranckset for street trial?

alanczik

i saw people here use shimano deore, many slx, and some xt cranks for streety trial bike

so what do you think about them? they are very light, but are they strong enough?

im switching from an ashton justice to inspired hex frame, and im hoping to save some wight in the process

i found a really cheep 2007 xtr crank (it weight about 530g for the arms and bb)

also i want to buy old rhino lite rims (550 g) or old alexrims dm 24 (650g)

any thoughts?

Rims will be fine, but cranks that light is asking for it. I had this convo with Ali recently, and personally I'm not gonna bother with anything Shimano unless it's Saints. Then again if you're really light and don't do much then they could be ok. Xtr stuff was never made for heavy use, you'd probably be better off with SLX, I've seen a few trials riders use them and they're still only 600g. Had a set myself for a little while. Deores have a bit of a cheap & nasty look but they'll probably last most people a while. I just don't like how hollow they are at the back.

But if you're heavy, have your tyres rock hard and don't mind a big drop then why risk a broken ankle?

Edited by LEON

Pretty sure slx crank arms are lighter than xt, xt cranks come with lighter chainrings to end up with slightly lighter chainset weight.

I have no issues with strength but I imagine these cranks would suffer more if you dropped the bike on it's side from height onto the pedal

Rims will be fine, but cranks that light is asking for it. I had this convo with Ali recently, and personally I'm not gonna bother with anything Shimano unless it's Saints. Then again if you're really light and don't do much then they could be ok. Xtr stuff was never made for heavy use, you'd probably be better off with SLX, I've seen a few trials riders use them and they're still only 600g. Had a set myself for a little while. Deores have a bit of a cheap & nasty look but they'll probably last most people a while. I just don't like how hollow they are at the back.

But if you're heavy, have your tyres rock hard and don't mind a big drop then why risk a broken ankle?

ok thats probably the best answer i could ever get

ill go with an slx if i could find one in a good price (although i totally agree with you about the the grey and polished finish)

thanks all

• Like 1