servicing suspension stuff

ogre

i have air forks on my mtb and i'm clueless on how to service or look after them at all. trials and road haven't prepared me for such responsibilities. i've been on raidons website to look for a guide but haven't found much. any suggestions tf?

You need to know the oil amounts and viscosity for the fork legs and damping ideally, I didn't find them after a quick browse but i'm sure there must be info online they are a common fork.

To do a basic service you should empty the air chambers, then undo the bolts at the bottom of each fork leg, you may need to leave the bolts screwed in a few threads and then give them a gentle tap with a soft faced hammer so the pistons release from the lowers, expect some oil to dribble out of each leg. Once you have done that you need to slide the lowers off the uppers and then clean the seals, get a rag on a stick and clean out the lower legs, you need to make sure there is no poop or grit in there. Slide the uppers back into the uppers but not all the way as you will need to fill each lower leg with the suitable amount of oil, then you can slide them fully in and fit the lower leg bolts. Pump them back up and away you go :)

Thanks! I have found that before it doesn't tell you how to actually do the servicing though, which is what i'm after :(

To look after your forks without properly servicing them is pretty easy, after every ride clean and dry your bike and spray a little bit of GT85 or TF2 or any teflon or ptfe based spray to your fork stantions and around the seals, then wipe of the excess. Also check around your seals ever so often for cracks and wear, check your stantions regulary too for scratches or rub marks.

Most lower leg servicing to suspension forks work under the same principles: remove the air, flip the fork upside down, remove the damper bolts at the bottom or any gubbins like rebound dials then the bolts, tap the damper rods through and out of their seats, then tip the fork back up right, you should then be able to remove the lower legs of the fork and the oil thats left will trickle out.

Suntour rarely give service guidelines to what to do with your fork, it sounds bad but they normally make their forks as a kind of disposable item unless its their higher end forks. There are guidelines to what weight and measurement you'll need to use, but in a fork like yours its not such a problem using about 10ml-15ml of 10wt suspension oil in each leg because all its doing is lubricating and also giving you a little bit of damping. Make sure you clean the inside of the legs and then lubricate the seals (and the foam seals if you have them in your fork) with either a teflon based grease or specific lubricant like float fluid or judy butter. Then you can refit the fork with fresh oil.

There are loads of how to videos on youtube.

Edited by Miles Mallinson
  • Like 1

To lubricate the lower leg on suspension forks you can use 15/50w fully synthetic engine oil which is what rockshox are using atm.

What ever you do don't use gt85 or tf2 or any spray oil that's not for suspension or a silicon spray.

The substance in gt85 that penetrates rusted bolts and make the ptfe oil thin enough to work as intended is petrolum based, meaning it will penetrate the rubber seals take hold of the oils in the rubber and evaporate/ degreace the this will cause the seals to dry and crack.

If your seals ate cracked it isn't worn out you broke it. Under normal use with good maintenance those seals wont crack for 10-15 years

To lubricate the lower leg on suspension forks you can use 15/50w fully synthetic engine oil which is what rockshox are using atm

Is this official or hearsay? I thought engine oil had detergents and additives for combustion by products. Also multiweight for forks? Doesnt specific fork oil have properties to reduce foaming too?

do you have a shock pump? You should let the air out first when you strip them, otherwhise something might go bang and you'll loose an eye.

I have some suntour raidons and have serviced them twice. Its fairly easy but for some reason sr suntour are funny about handing out propper service manuals.

To take the lower legs off you just loosen but don't fully remove the allen bolt from the air side. Then pull the rebound knob off the other leg and there is a larger hollow allen bolt inside.

Leave these two bolts threaded in a couple of turns and tap them with a soft mallet or hammer and block of wood. This will loosen the lowers.

Unlike many forks the damper isn't serviceble and is sealed. I don't see this as a problem as i'v used and abused the fork for the best part of two years with no trouble.

Another unusual thing is the lower legs are dry and come packed with grease. This stuff - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stendec-easy-glide-fork-grease/rp-prod3150 its different to normal grease and is super slippery.

I also tried adding some thin suspension fluid but it didn't make much difference.

As long as the air spring isn't leaking it should be fine but it is easy to service. Unscrew the top cap and there is a presta valve. Let the air out. then with a large socket (six point is best as it won't slip) unscrew to valve. Then the rest of the air chamber should come out. There is a plastic bumper on the bottom of the air shaft, this is a tight fit but pulls off (took me a while to figure out as i didnt want to brake anything :$ ). Clean everything and put it back together. Suntour recomend 80 weight gear oil to lbricate it, I used EP90 as its almost the same, its common and had it laying around. I'v had no problems so far.

Put everything together and pump it back up and your good to go! :dance:

Keep the stanchions clean with a cloth and water after rides. Also a spray called fork juice is good, just spray it on every few rides and it makes the fork much smoother. I found it helped more on my raidons then other more expensive forks iv used as the raidons only have crome plating instead of anodised stanchions.

GT80, WD40 etc. is bad for your seals and atracts dirt which is bad news for your forks!

hope this helps.

Another unusual thing is the lower legs are dry and come packed with grease. This stuff - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stendec-easy-glide-fork-grease/rp-prod3150 its different to normal grease and is super slippery.

I also tried adding some thin suspension fluid but it didn't make much difference

I had a feeling these forks were grease lubed rather than splash-bath.

It's there anything supporting that apart from them coming in the same style bottle though?...

The newer bottles aren't labled as rockshox anymore I will get you a picture at work tommorow.

It's there anything supporting that apart from them coming in the same style bottle though?...

The newer bottles aren't labled as rockshox anymore I will get you a picture at work tommorow.