Searching for riders from way back, I'm looking to learn the "

jnthebiker

Hey all. I'm a pretty inexperienced rider, but I want to learn about what trials used to be, and learn the riding style from back then. I'm looking for some of the original riders, people who were riding back in the era of videos like Contact and Revolution, and bike trials in general being what I wish it was now. I'm looking specifically for the people who were riding back then and earlier, because I want to learn about smooth two-wheeled riding, and the riding with the smooth older style, what it takes to do trials on mountain bikes and bikes with old geometry, and old moves that aren't around any more. I recently picked up a 26" frame with older geometry, but I'm still on my pogo stick at the moment as that build isn't done yet, I need to save up for more parts. I would really like to find some of you to talk to about this. If you're reading this and were riding back then and aren't a pogo rider, and might be willing to give me some pointers or coaching, or could point me to someone who would, please let me know.

thanks so much,

JN

Thanks everyone. I'll watch those videos. This is my frame. It's a WTF frame, made by Frank The Welder. He only made 25, back in 2008. On top of that, this one in particular has a very interesting history. It was owned by Lance Trappe originally, and he set the world record for front wheel hops on it in Cirque Du Soleil.

post-37164-0-54675600-1422110358_thumb.j

It's got a +15bb, so should be a pretty fun bike to ride. Some people think it's ugly but I personally love it.

Here's a picture of Lance riding it in Cirque Du Soleil.

post-37164-0-41174000-1422110877_thumb.j

Edited by jnthebiker

I know what you mean it does looks more fun than back wheeling everything. (That's not a dig at anyone!) my favourite video still has to be Evolve I love it.

Yeah, even with the small amount of progress I've made towards this while on a pogo stick, I've noticed that my riding has become 3 times smoother, and I also have a lot more fun while riding. Evolve is a great one, I think Contact is my favorite. JJ Gregorowicz is my favorite to watch, so smooth and so powerful! I've met him 3 times, and might be riding with him next weekend if the timing works out. :D My end goal is to ride this frame as well as Lance Trappe did when he had it, that's going to be quite hard haha!