Unlocking iPhone

Duncy H

Anybody had any experience with the above?

Been round the houses too many times with each and every bloody phone company. The story goes that I got a new contract with a new network but put my old sim in as I didn't have time and it locked it and the shop I bought it from never warned me of this. No one wants to take responsibility and no company says it is possible for them to unlock it.

So even though EE for the fifth time have said they'll get back to me if they can see if they can do an unlock somehow I've lost faith with them, so I was looking into a less legitimate way to unlock it so I can use my new sim card.

Anybody have any experience to share?

Cheers

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1306/10004662/1358904-universal-activation-sim-card-for-iphone-2g-3g-3

Ive heard stuff like this is pretty good. No first hand experience though :S . I'm sure a quick google search will find something useful ;)

This maybe? https://myimeiunlock.com/unlocking-faq/

Edited by *gentlydoesit

The above does not unlock your phone, it bypasses the activation and lets you access the home screen.

Lets clear up something though. You got a new contract with new sim. But you put old sim in your (new or old?) iPhone. iPhone now locked? But you want to unlock it so you can use your new sim? What network is your phone locked to and what network is the new contract/sim?

Putting in a sim that's not the same network as your iPhone is locked to shouldn't have locked your phone. I don't actually know what you mean by locked? Can you take a photo of it somehow? If you put in a sim that's from a different network, your phone should just say sim not valid or something like that, I can't remember exactly.

You can unlock an iPhone when it's jaillbroken but it depends on your iOS version and a few other things. But you can't update to the next iOS update unless a jailbreak has been released for it, as updating will cause you to loose the jailbreak and unlock. I've done this before with previous iPhones but it's more trouble than it's worth (I still jailbreak etc) so I just paid the network to do it properly. You can still jailbreak your phone after this.

If your phone is new with your contract, I highly doubt EE would unlock it for you. Near the end of your contract they would more likely do it.

Apple do say that jalibreaking your iphone invalidates your warranty blah blah blah but in the event that you need to take the phone back to Apple for repair or whatnot, just restore your phone to the official iOS and they wouldn't know a thing. I jailbroke my iPhone 6 on day one but noticed the screen has popped out a bit. Restored it and took it back to Apple and they didn't know shit. Got a new phone a few hours later. I've been using iPhones since the 3G, then the 4, 5 and now 6, all jailbroken. If that accounts for anything.

Seeing as there appears to be iPhone whizzes in the house, why does my 4S keep turning its self off at seemingly random battery lives, thinking it has no battery (indicates as such when try to turn it on) but then when plugged into a power source with boot up and show, say, 72% as it did before it shut its self down? Often happens when trying to take a photo, but can also happen if its left alone with something like strava running. Is it because it's old?

Sorry for thread hijack.

Should have explained it a bit better.

-Had an EE contract that was coming to an end soon with an old iPhone that didn't work

-Took out a new vodafone contract at carphone warehouse and they were gunna charge me £20 to set up my phone so I said no thankyou the cheeky buggers, I put my old sim card in as I didn't have time to sort it before going to work, but put the card in in front of them and they said nothing. Result is the phone gets locked to the first sim card you put in it.

-So now I've come round to swapping to my new sim and it won't accept it.

-Been on the phone to EE numerous times, vodafone the same, carphone warehouse too, been into the apple shop and no one wants to take responsibility or make an effort to help unlock it for me.

So am I right in thinking that if I get it unlocked in a less legitimate way it will be jailbroken? :/

I have never heard of a new iPhone being locked to the first SIM card network you put in. The phone is locked to the network from factory out the box.

The only way to unlock an iPhone that's not done by the network themselves is by jailbreaking it. But even if you go down that route you don't have to do the jailbreak stuff, just use your phone as usual, it functions exactly the same. You just have the option to do jailbroken stuff. But like I said above when you go to update it the jailbreak AND unlock will disappear. You have to jailbreak it again to get the phone unlocked, if Apple hasn't patched the exploit to allow the unlock on the new jailbreak.

No, I had an EE contract coming to an end, when you get an iPhone it is unlocked (you can put any sim card in it) but whichever sim card you put in first it locks it to that network. So I have an iPhone that is locked to EE that I want to use with a vodafone card.

Dafuuuuuq. That's really stupid then.

But now I understand. I highly doubt Vodafone would unlock your phone for you then since you just got it with them! Maybe speak to customer services over the phone and really bug them about it. Or speak to a manager of some sort in the shop.

Just google about jail breaking and unlocking. The actual process is easy! If there's a unlock for whichever iOS youre on. Keep me updated. Interested to see what happens.

Edited by weirdoku

If vodaphone sold you the phone surely its their responsibility to fix it? Are you still within the 30 day cooling off period? If so you can just cancel your contract and hand the phone back.

Edit: Google says vodaphones cooling off period is only 7 days :(