Saint Failure

Christiaan

WFT happened here??! Massive brake failure. Both caliper mounts broke off, aswell as the adaper.

I suspect one of the mounts failed, causing the adapter and other mount to brake aswell.

What do you guys think? 203mm rotor to blame? m810 calipers are pretty strong as far as I'm aware.

5DBE191E-4B24-4AB4-B8B8-1D02572BD412-256

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the adaptor breaking causing the caliper to break - I've seen it happen to someone in person. If you've got an IS mount on your frame and you're running a 203mm rotor too you've got a lot of leverage going through a relatively spindly little adapter which won't be helping too.

I am not saying as a definate, as i've no other failures to go by. But, i'm not entirely sure it was down to adaptor. The point at which the sheer is in the adaptor looks to match the pivoting effect of the upper caliper hole sheering. Taking the caliper backwards, inturn sheering the adaptor, finally, snapping the caliper at the bottom.

I am not a scientist, or a git. Its just what it looks like. I still love everyone. Does that statement stop me getting mass hate? Haha.

I am not saying as a definate, as i've no other failures to go by. But, i'm not entirely sure it was down to adaptor. The point at which the sheer is in the adaptor looks to match the pivoting effect of the upper caliper hole sheering. Taking the caliper backwards, inturn sheering the adaptor, finally, snapping the caliper at the bottom.

I am not a scientist, or a git. Its just what it looks like. I still love everyone. Does that statement stop me getting mass hate? Haha.

You only get mass hate on OTN.

I agree I have cracked one across the bolt hole at the top and had a similar issue, looks like it's been cracked there had some abuse managed to flex more than it should because the top bolt "ain't doing shit" then snapped both the other two parts.

So many people have snapped those Shimano adapters to date!

I've said it before, don't use those skinny little Shimano adaptors! They're built completely wrong to take stress. When that adaptor cracks the next move will pretty much finish the caliper off.

Use a nice manly Hayes one, they're about £6.

post-1701-0-27597200-1422869679_thumb.jp

Edited by LEON

You only get mass hate on OTN.

I agree I have cracked one across the bolt hole at the top and had a similar issue, looks like it's been cracked there had some abuse managed to flex more than it should because the top bolt "ain't doing shit" then snapped both the other two parts.

So many people have snapped those Shimano adapters to date!

Thank goodness for that.

I dont think the skiny-ness of the adaptor helped the caliper either. With such a large void between frame mounts and caliper holes some form of bracing or reenforcement(sp?) wouldnt go amiss.

You shouldn't be using a bent adaptor on your brake, considering they're £5 - £10.

Yeah other accidents can happen, using bolts with a really wide head should make it harder for that to happen but you can't always get the clearance. ALWAYS use washers too.

If only this came in a 203 version.

post-1701-0-41640800-1422870273_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That wouldn't explain my failure as the adaptor was only bent and both bolt holes were broken.

Exactly, the 'flex' in the adaptor allowed the 'solid' caliper to crack, and snap. A more solid adaptor, hayes, etc, would minimise flex more than the matchstick shimano one.

Bent as in "bent after the failure of the brake".

edit: Ok. So if it's the flex in the adaptor... should've known that before using the Shimano one. :(

Im not saying thats a definate, dont want to cause a huge shimano war. But yes i feel flex maybe a contributer to caliper failure.

Hayes are bombproof, thick Formula ones are good too, even cheap Clarks ones are chunkier than Shimano. Hope seem pretty good too, they look the best and are made perfectly but I'd guess the big fat types are still a bit stronger. It's a cheap part you should change every now and then, for the sake of saving a £150 brake!