Pinch resistant 24" tyres besides maxxis

cwtrials

Hey all, I know there are a million 24" tyre threads I recently built up a pretty awesome Ozonys Curve 24". I'm finding the Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky tires I got for it to be really dead feeling. It might be because all my rides so far have been well below freezing and the tire is just cold. I had tried a Fat Albert but got a pinch that cut right through the casing.

Are there any other 24" rear tires that offer decent pinch resistance and might have a bit more life / rebound than the Maxxis?

I was thinking of the a Nevegal 24 x 2.5 DH Stick-E. They're fairly cheap and available, dual ply. Stick-e.

Right now I'm at 220 lbs (100kg) so pinch resistance is pretty much king at this point. I'm coming off Rubber Queen 26 x 2.4 with the apex protection, and might just be a bit spoiled.

I'm finding the Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky tires I got for it to be really dead feeling.

Dead, as in not springy/rebounding fast enough?

what tube are you using? Swapping tire/tube combos is my key to getting the right 'feel' - in a big maxxis a 180gr or lighter tube worked best for me when I had the stock built up (80ishKG basher).

OR

Thought about modifying the maxxis?

Like cutting (or in my case an angle grinder and 6mm wide disc) every other nobble off?

On a high roller the outer nobbles go large/smaller/large - if I was cutting it i'd cut the smaller ones off.

Just did this with an ancient, cracked around every nobble, gone off and rock hard mod tyre and cutting transformed it into try-all stiky like fast rebounding pogo stick, but by using a thin tube (200gr tops) and a firm to hard PSI, in this case 25-30ish, was totally stable and would deform in such a way the bike would sit on the back wheel with very little input and no need for to even pull the rear brake.

I'm a complete convert.

Edit: oh and just another quick point - by increasing deformation, grip is increased too. In my case I'd say at least twofold

Edited by CC12345678910

Conti MacAskill. The rubber queen doesn't really spoil does it?

I have a Conti, and plan on using it as a front when I ride in the rain (which is fairly frequently). However it's just not suited as a rear pure trials tire for a heavy rider. The casing is similar to the rubber queen, but it lacks the apex protection. I found I had to put the pressure crazy high to prevent flats. If I lost some weight it might be a good option. It's an awesome tyre, don't get me wrong, but I don't like it in the rear at my weight.

Dead, as in not springy/rebounding fast enough?

what tube are you using? Swapping tire/tube combos is my key to getting the right 'feel' - in a big maxxis a 180gr or lighter tube worked best for me when I had the stock built up (80ishKG basher).

OR

Thought about modifying the maxxis?

Like cutting (or in my case an angle grinder and 6mm wide disc) every other nobble off?

On a high roller the outer nobbles go large/smaller/large - if I was cutting it i'd cut the smaller ones off.

Just did this with an ancient, cracked around every nobble, gone off and rock hard mod tyre and cutting transformed it into try-all stiky like fast rebounding pogo stick, but by using a thin tube (200gr tops) and a firm to hard PSI, in this case 25-30ish, was totally stable and would deform in such a way the bike would sit on the back wheel with very little input and no need for to even pull the rear brake.

I'm a complete convert.

Edit: oh and just another quick point - by increasing deformation, grip is increased too. In my case I'd say at least twofold

I'm using the standard Jitsie tube, might try an ultralight tube and see if it gets a bit more responsive. Haven't cut it yet, although I probably will before my next ride. I try not to go crazy cutting knobs too soon.

Again, I know maxxis tyres don't do well in really cold. It has been well below freezing every ride I've done, so I need to ride it in some warmer conditions and see how it does

This doesn't make sense. I know what spoiled means and was trying to say that the Rubber Queen isn't really pinch resistant.

I found the rubber queen 2.4 with the Apex to be pretty good for pinch resistance, although I still got them. I ran 29 psi. It was a good medium of pinch resistance and responsiveness.

• Like 1