Mavic Crossride rear hub bearing play issue

Tony Harrison

I have a Mavic Crossride from a 2013 bike, and it has some play in the rear axle. Not disassembled it yet, but I'm confused as to how this is happening. I read some other stuff online, it seems to be a common problem and Mavic's suggested fix was questionable. It has cartridge bearings so I don't get how the axle is moving about.

Anyone know anything about these wheels, or know how to strip the hubs?

I gave it to Evans to look at, they did a 'hub service' and gave me the wheel back - as soon as I put it in the frame I could feel play still there. Evans then told me I'd have to bring the whole bike in, which was pointless (I think they were worried that I wasn't smart enough to put the wheel in properly).

Anyway I resorted to dismantling it myself to find the retaining circlip on the axle not seated (it just dropped off the end of the axle - nice one Evans) and blatantly obvious wear marks on the axle. Turning the fitted axle showed that there wasn't enough friction to turn the bearings!! This reminded me why I've always serviced my own bike stuff.

Anyway I cleaned the axle and bearing surfaces with carb cleaning and reassembled with Loctite 601 bearing retainer. I could've sourced or machined a new axle, but I need to ride this damn bike. So we'll see how it goes...