Bell's 'MIPS' technology - worth it?

Tony Harrison

I'm looking at buying a Bell Super 2R. It's about £20 more for the MIPS version, but as ever it's hard to tell if it's just hype or whether it really adds any extra level of safety.

Anyone here bought one of these helmets, or have any experience with them?

More and more helmets seem to becoming MIPS'd so there must be something to it. The theory makes sense and the top manufacturers are backing it. To be honest if it's only a £20 upgrade I wouldn't think twice. Head protection isn't an area to skimp and even if it's just a marginal added security feature I'd happily take it.

Head protection isn't an area to skimp and even if it's just a marginal added security feature I'd happily take it.

I agree, that's what I was starting to think. Ultimately it ends up being the best part of £170, but like you say, what price do you put on protecting your head?

I won't be buying one until I've tried one in the shop though.

I agree, that's what I was starting to think. Ultimately it ends up being the best part of £170, but like you say, what price do you put on protecting your head?

I won't be buying one until I've tried one in the shop though.

If you like the fit of a Giro lid, they have added MIPS to their Feature lid which is good (but a touch warm). It's also almost half the price, but maybe a touch less refined: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/giro-feature-mips-helmet-2015/rp-prod128407?gs=1&gclid=CJiolMK80MQCFaiE2wodcooADQ&gclsrc=aw.ds