BB mounted bash Guards

Ross McArthur

I know of a few people who use BB mounted bash guards. The mtb world used to (and some still do) mount their chain guides and bash guards in-between their drive side bottom bracket cup and the frame. Has anyone done this in the trials world?

First time I seen it done was on Ali C's bike, where he mounted a Trial Tech half Ti guard, so that when he was riding switch foot, he still had coverage if he slipped onto his cranks & FW.

Advantages are, having the weight of a half guard and the coverage of a full one. I also think it looks pretty fly.

So if you have a BB mounted bash mod, post up a picture of your set up for us all to see.

I think there's a niche in the market for a 22 tooth bb mounted bash. Get on it someone!

I don't know but if it's further in surely you're more likely to land on the freewheel/cog. My Ascent has the bashguard mounted to the BB yolk and it doesn't quite cover the teeth on the freewheel, i've landed on that and the chain so many times as a result of that.

i've always thought you were bashy, that using BB mounted bashguard would put all the stress through the bottom bracket/threads, so if anything would break it'd be the frame?

Maybe if you were doing drop gaps to bash, like a weird mix of Damon Watson and Ryan Leech.

Obviously a lot of people bash the feck out of their bikes. But for some, who rarely fall onto their bash but still want a little bit of security, a BB mounted bash could be an option?

Maybe if you were doing drop gaps to bash, like a weird mix of Damon Watson and Ryan Leech.

Obviously a lot of people bash the feck out of their bikes. But for some, who rarely fall onto their bash but still want a little bit of security, a BB mounted bash could be an option?

i see the benefits of it, bashring would always stay in the same place and protect the freewheel/sprocket regardless of crank position.

I guess i've had alot of issues with bb threads over the time, so it wasnt the option for me :P

I Personally think the whole drive train would just look a mess with a quarter bashguard, its not like you got a bmx style chain ring to show off might look nicer with a bmx style crank but on over sized mtb cranks it would look a mess.

A set of screw on cranks, a Trial Tech 22 tooth Screw on sprocket, and Bobs y'er Aunty! Cant get much cleaner than that?

Ive seen some people grinding off the bash guard tabs on 4 bolt XC cranks which looks ok if done well.

That MRP bash wouldn't be too bad with a 22 front sprocket set up, would it?

A set of screw on cranks, a Trial Tech 22 tooth Screw on sprocket, and Bobs y'er Aunty! Cant get much cleaner than that?

Ive seen some people grinding off the bash guard tabs on 4 bolt XC cranks which looks ok if done well.

That MRP bash wouldn't be too bad with a 22 front sprocket set up, would it?

its for a 34T max, so it's probably far too big to a 22T. But it wouldnt take much to modify/make it shorter.

• Like 1

now now play nice

No.... I think it was a fair comment.

Seen quite a few people run a small bash like a TT Ti or similar mounted ebtween the BB and frame. I think i looks really good if you've got a clean crank/ring setup (by the sounds of it you do) as the bash is pretty much hidden from the dirve side.

either go street with 3 piece cranks and a quarter bash or stick to a mtb crank with full bash, mixing styles never looks good point in case bar spins on a trials bike.... disgusting.

Watch james barton he bar spins and they are disgusting(ly good)

they're pretty much as good as they get.

back to the topic, I've been running a home made bb mounted bash for a while, it's a solid alloy BMX chainring I cut down and shaped, it's been used a fair bit lately as I've been trying a new back wheeling technique largely unsuccessfully and come down hard on it, both bash and bb seem totally fine :) I think a full outer is still best for strength but I am not keen on the overly big 4 bolt crank bash sizes available as I often hit them in hooks where I'd get away with it if it was smaller.

Better I will admit but still not steezy

The first 270 tap barspin in this looks f**king sweet. Most BMXers don't make them look as good as that, let alone from that position/in that way...

With the new style of integrated looking chainrings (like on the new Hope cranks) I reckon a fairly minimal BB-mounted bashring would look pretty cool. Even Ali's butchered cranks and spinny BB-mounted bash on his Arcade when I rode with him last looked quite nice. I'm still a sucker for the Arcade bash/chainring combo, but if I was running MTB cranks I'd probably look into doing something similar to what Ali's done.

• Like 1

The word 'steezy' is stupid. Just stupid.

James throws the bars as good as any bmxer.

Back on topic, the arcade integrated cog and bash is really nice and i think that is mainly due to the low profile. THe bash mounted BB on Ali's bike is barely even visible (unless you're looking for it), and gives much more clearance than the 4 bolt bash guards.

• Like 2