Can you mill a 135mm hope pro2 Evo for a limeys odd width dropouts?

Herbertlemon102

I've always wanted a pro2 freehub on my limey, and after riding flipps brakeless bike the other day, that's made me want one even more. Except- my limeys dropouts aren't 116mm, they're 110mm because of integrated tensioners. Is it possible to make one short enough to fit?

• Like 1

What about using a standard, non-trials hub as it has a shorter hubshell? That would provide more wiggle room, but I assume people don't really use these for trials because the freehub body is aluminium over the SS version's steel freehub? I'm intrigued because I'm quite keen on trying this too :)

Swindlehurst used to run a machined down pro2 in his Ice. Also 110mm and retained the disc mount so it is possible.

Yes, but the frame was stretched out. I saw it in person. Disc brake was completely unusable as the disc tabs were a rizla away from the SS/CS join. Ditto the drive side. It uses a lockring from a (argos bike spec) cup and cone BB FFS. A mate omine now has it and has completely redone the job to tidy it up as it was (in our opinion) a mess - story goes that Swinny said 'just make it f***ing work' and left his mate to it. Understandably with that brief he must have just used what was kicking about.

Euan's design is a far better job in terms of engineering merit, but IIRC, to skim enough off it uses the old style two bearing driver??(someone correct me by all means) This failed more than once on trials bikes thus was replaced by the NRB/EVO spec. I know the needle roller bearing is wider (check the hope tech docs) so this sounds correct to me.

As i have my own hope machined hub that Euan machined i think im possibly the best person to talk to. yes you can machine one down to fit a onza limey but you should only get it machined down to 116mm as then it will fit other frames if you decide to change. you can fit that into a 110mm spacing frame without losing the disc mount but it is a very tight squeeze and you do have to spread the frame out slightly as George blake had to do this on his onza ice. the hub also means you have to build the wheel really offset so that it fits in the middle of the frame. Euan Beaden can do the machining and everything for you but he charged me £50 and made me wait a good 6 weeks at least until it was done. Also he cut the lockring thread on the driveshell the wrong way so had to make anew lock ring to accomodate. obviously as it was cut the wrong way after a while it kept on coming loose. In my opinion he over charged me a lot for a shoddy job that took too long to complete and it cost me more to get the job done than it did to buy the hub in the first place. since then i have changed the hubshell to a black one which has disc mounts which my previous hubshell didnt have, i have also swapped my axle and driveshell with George Blake as he went to stock so had no need for his internal parts anymore. this has fixed the lockring problem but the wheel still doesnt sit straight in the frame but its something ive had to deal with. I'd say it is worth getting it done but only if it isn't f**ked up by the person doing it and if its at a low enough price. hope this helps :)

Not forgetting you have to initially buy the hub/spokes/sprocket. A Evo hub, sprocket and spoke's would be well over the £100 mark second hand and at a guess (without checking) £175 new.

I remember Danny Swindle got his off a local friend who managed to machine it down pretty nicely without having to do anything with any of the bearings it was at the time made for another frame so it won't have been made to 110mm and although the disc mount was still on the frame the disc would hit the seat/chain stays for sure!

If you wasn't bothered about a disc or the 80ep then just get a Profile hub?

Edited by Paperclip

I've always wanted a pro2 freehub on my limey, and after riding flipps brakeless bike the other day, that's made me want one even more. Except- my limeys dropouts aren't 116mm, they're 110mm because of integrated tensioners. Is it possible to make one short enough to fit?

Does your current setup work not work? Far too much time/effort/money wasted on something that you don't really need.